We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

ND
6 posts
Save Topic
Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

We are planning on riding to Nova Scotia and then taking the ferry to Newfoundland in 2010. When will the weather be the best for motorcyles in your opinion???? Is there lots of temperatures changes from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland? Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Johnnie g

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

Hello JohnnieG2756, this is Glenn from Nova Scotia tourism.

You may wish to consider late August and September for a motorcycle trip in Nova Scotia. This generally is the time of year with least amount of rain but warm daytime temperatures right through September.

As for temperature differences, you have to remember that Newfoundland also includes Labrador which ends just south of Baffin Island in the Canadian Arctic. So obviously, the further north you go in Newfoundland the cooler it is going to get.

I would suggest ordering the Nova Scotia Motorcycle tour guide as well as the Doer's & Dreamers Guides. You may also wish to check out novascotia.com

For Newfoundland /www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/

Mentioned in this post
ND
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

Thanks for the info. Will go to the site you gave me and try and decide what month we will come your way.

Johnnieg

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

What are your interests other than motorcycle touring?

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

Call 1-866-250-7777 or log on www.motorcycletourguidens.com for a copy of Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia, Riding the Trails of Adventure. This Guide is a publication of Harold & Wendy Nesbitt in Waverley, NS, motorcyclists for over 30 years.

Mentioned in this post
Waverley
Waverley
Halifax Region, Canada
ND
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

We love just seeing what is on the other side of the hill. Meeting new people on the trail is always very interesting in other parts of the country. We do some camping also as we travel. We also travel with our little Morky dog. She has been to Alaska, Nova Scotia, Key West, Florida and a lot of places in between. Would like to come back to the eastern part of Canada and see some things we miss before. Never have been on the NL island so really looking forward to that. At this time we are thinking about leaving on around the 1st of July but our schedules always seem to get changed.

Johnnieg

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

On your way across NS to that ferry going to NF you might want to consider taking a little travelled but very picturesque road from Amherst to Truro, following the shores of the upper Bay of Fundy. After entering NS at Amherst if you take exit 4 you can swing down to Joggins, where there is the UNESCO site known worldwide for its Fossill center.

Then you will reach the rugged coastline of Cape Chignecto where sea and cliffs meet to create some spectacular scenery. Good place to stop here in Advocate Harbour for a stay, or at least a tasty lunch at the Wild Caraway. If the road to Cape d'Or has been graded you might want to take the big bikes up there - its awe inspiring. At Advocate there is a large tidal harbour that completely empties at low tide and brings the fishing boats to the top of the wharf at high. From Advocate to Port Greville you will find one of the most scenic drives in the province. After that you drop down out of the hills and continue past beautiful places like Five Islands and through quaint hamlets like Bass River and Great Village to Truro, where you rejoin the main highway. For some more info check out www.bayoffundytourism.com

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

I love traveling by motorbike. :) I think the time of year depends on your biking personality, so to speak, and how late in the day you want to go.

I HATE being cold and so I only really like nighttime driving in late July- early Aug. If you will be traveling during the day and don't mind a temperature drop after dark, Aug/Sept will work for you.

I have been around just about the whole province via bike and I can guarantee you are going to love it!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

While you are here pop over to the Tim Hortons in Fall River, most nights of the week its a big meeting spot for bikers, especially on a Thursday evening.

Mentioned in this post
Fall River
Fall River
Halifax Region, Canada
Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

i hope you are coming to Cape Breton to ride the Cabot Trail. Google this or watch some cabot trail on motorcycle on You Tube.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorcycle ride to Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

Yes, you'll definitely want to take in the Tim Horton's in Fall River. You might want to do that early in your trip to get ideas from other drivers.

Newfoundland can be cold getting into September. You might want to gear your trip for August sometime.

Also, although it isn't usually a problem with bikes, you might want to go onine and make a reservation for the Newfoundland ferry ahead of time so you are sure to get on the boat when you want to.

Mentioned in this post
Tim Horton's
Tim Horton's
1 Review
Halifax, Canada
Fall River
Fall River
Halifax Region, Canada