We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice regarding need for reservations

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Advice regarding need for reservations

We are planning our trip for the week of June 7-15. We will be renting a car and covering the Cabot Trail. Is it necessary to reserve our lodging accomodations or will we be able to play things more day to day based on our progress?

Thank you

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Hello deejathome

Sorry no one has answered your questions yet. As you are arriving before the start of the tourist season, and kids are still in school, in my opinion you are safe to play things on a more daily basis.

I would still have some idea of where I would like to stay and either have the phone numbers with me and call ahead, or you could also reserve through Check IN Nova Scotia novascotia.com/en/…visitor_info_services.aspx

Did you order your copy of the Doer's and Dreamers Guide? www.novascotia.com .

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Thanks for the response! Yes I have ordered that guide and a couple others. Looking forward to our trip. Its just so hard to plot a route and stick to it when there are so many opportunities to see things that may take more of our time. Id hate to be tied to a schedule if its not necessary.

It looks like there are accomodations throughout the Cabot Trail so we are hoping to just sort of land where we land at days end. As long as there's some seafood and ale, we are pretty easy to please!

ontario
Level Contributor
142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

We are coming the last week of August and I was wondering the same thing...do we need to reserve ahead of time or will it be ok to just leave it. We as well don't want to be stuck to a schedule if not necessary. Or is it easier to book one place as home base and drive daily back and forth??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

bremar

August may be a different story, depending on what part of the province you plan on visiting. Certain areas may have festivals, etc going on which means fuller hotels, etc.

You mention a home base and driving back and forth, etc. Nova Scotia is larger than most folks think, and the attractions and towns you may wish to visit may be further apart than you want. novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx This is a great tool for vacation planning.

A little bit of planning on the areas you wish to visit, make note of the inns/lodging choices available in the area, etc. Bring your copy of the Doer's and Dreamers Guide, bring the phone Number for Check In Nova Scotia and come for a visit! You may not get the first or second choice lodging you were hoping for, but you will get to sleep somewhere!

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

wahtabout late June- we are coming June 16th through the 28th- we plan to go all over the area, staying in each place a few days.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

watcher44

I think you should be ok as well. Just have a few places in mind, in case your first choice is full.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Through the week you should be fine, but in smaller communities, you might be landing in town on a weekend of a soccer tournament or something like that... and then you'll be hard pressed to find a place to stay.

I would recommend that you book your hotels for the weekend, but you are probably safe playing it by ear during the week when school is in.

You just might pay more...

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Hi There,

I work in the Hotel Industry and I beg people not to tell anyone to come to NS and not make a reservation. There are many days and nights throughout the year that there isn't a hotel room to be had in NS. Halifax fills up quickly and there is a ripple effect right back to NB. I have worked the Front Desk and have sent people all the way back to Moncton to find a hotel room. I am not exagerating. Please ignore those that say not to book and make a plan. You can change those plans day to day if you need but coming with no reservations would be risky.

Notkevin

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Good advice NotKevin... I don't work in the hotel industry so it's good to hear from an expert.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice regarding need for reservations

Thanks cgreno

When I am asked, I suggest to people to make a plan and make your reservations. If you find that you are staying somewhere longer than you expected, extend your booking and then cancel the night elsewhere. You can always cancel but you cannot always book a room because of occupancy levels.