We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

I am trying to plan a short (2 full days July 24 - July 27) sanity getaway. I could go to Key West Fl, but it will be hot and humid.

What is the weather like in Halifax in July? Also, I have never been to Halifax, and will need transportation from the airport to a hotel. From what I am seeing on the internet, it could cost over $100 (USD)? I do not want to rent a car, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

The average high in July is in the mid-high 70's.

Are you travelling by yourself? If so, it is cheaper to use a shuttle called the Airporter, which goes to most hotels in the city for $36 round trip. http://www.airporter.biz/

Here is an idea of what a local taxi will charge to and from the airport:

www.adamstaxilimo.com/LocalRates/index.php

I have been to Key West on a cruise ship stop, and I live just outside Halifax. Halifax has a lot more to offer. There is a free bus that will shuttle you around downtown for free called the F.R.E.D. (free rides everywhere downtown). For details on FRED, look here: http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

There are a number of festivals and events going on, depending on when in July you plan to come for a visit....

www.destinationhalifax.com/…

Here are a couple of tours if you are intersted (ignore the expensive ones!)

ambassatours.com/atlantic-canada-tours/halif…

http://www.halifaxtours.net/

So if you stay at a hotel in the hub of everything, you won't need to rent a car.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

Cgreno,Thank you for the great info.

I will be traveling alone, and the Airporter sounds good.

If I go to Halifax I am thinking of staying at the Westin Nova Scotia. From what I can determine it is close to everything. Or, if you know of a different hotel (with water view), I would be interested in your opinions.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

The Westin is a great place to stay. It's close by some really great restaurants. Good choice. You can walk to the waterfront easily from there.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

Hello "

Have a look at other downtown hotels for choice.

The Westin is perfectly fine but at the far south end of the downtown area.

You can view the reviews by clicking on Halifax Hotels on the top left corner of the page .. You have quite a few to choose from, any questions be sure to come back and ask, best wishes,

blondie **

Granville Ferry...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

Been to the Keys and now live in Nova Scotia.....take note that I moved to Nova Scotia from Miami....NS wins hands down. Try it out by staying at A Seafaring Maiden B&B. It sold us!

USA
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

I'd leave Key West for the winter months (Dec-Mar), not sure I'd like it there this time of year. However, looking forward to our trip to NS next week, mid 70's sounds like heaven compared to the high 90's we're experiencing on the east coast right now.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,321 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

FRED is not operating this year. However you can easily walk around the waterfront area and up Spring Garden Road.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

A Seafaring Maiden is indeed a great B&B but not located in Halifax. It's in Grenville Ferry close to Annapolis Royal. Worth the trip if you have the time!

9. Re: Key West Fl or Halifax Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:20