We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

Hi I was wondering if it would be feasible to do a tour for all the

3 places above in l day ( arriving on a cruise, and will be in

port from 8 to 5 pm.) How long does it take to drive from Halifax

to Peggy's Cove, peggy's cove to Lunenburg, and then Lunenburg

back to Halifax. ( if you can give me the driving time for the

different components,I would greatly appreciate it, as I can then

gauge how much time we can spend in each place rather than

on the road) . If we have never been to any of these places,

would a 7 hour tour gives us a good over-view of each place?

Of course, I know you cannot see everything in l trip, but if it is

not too rush, like to see if it is feasible at all. I really appreciate

any input you can give me.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx

The distance calculator above will help you plan your trip. It is slightly less than 1 hr from downtown Halifax to Peggy's Cove.

So if you are taking at least 2 1/2 hr of drive time back and forth from Halifax to Peggy's Cove to Lunenburg and back, just what are you planning on seeing in Halifax?

It will be a running tour with very little focus on anything except watching the clock, in my opinion.

Have you calculated the time to pick up and drop off the car in this time frame?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

1. To the top right of this page click on the link to information for cruisers.

2. Go to cruisecritic.com and do some research there. Look under Ports of Call.

To generalize you can go to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg but you will not have time for Halifax.

Or you can go to Peggy's Cove (preferably in a rental car) and then back to Halifax for the afternoon.

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

I would stay in Halifax, which has an interesting downtown and plenty of historic locations and museums. Peggy's Cove is greatly over-hyped. Lunenburg is an interesting town, but, as noted above, it is a bit of a drive from Halifax.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

I suggest picking one or the other. If you try to cram both in, you won't enjoy either, and it will all be a blur.

If you drive to Lunenburg, go straight down to Lunenburg on the (non-scenic) 103 highway, and then snake your way back to Halifax along the pretty #3 highway. That way, you won't leave yourself short on time.

If you get back to the city with time to spare, you can float around downtown. But I think if you go to Lunenburg (& Peggy's Cove) you won't have time for Halifax.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

The plan need not be scraped perhaps a bit revised however.

I truthfully feel the proposed plan would be far to rushed, not an enjoyable day to do this. I disagree with Geographic who says Peggys Cove is over hyped.

In some ways it is, yes, it has become so touristy, busy, but with that being said, you can't take away the one of a kind natural beauty of this area.

www.peggyscoveregion.com

Lunenburg takes time to explore to appreciate, you won't have time for this and a drive thru town will not be a thrill. Nearby Mahone Bay is very picturesque in a New England seaside town kind of way and much faster to see and enjoy.

A unique and much visited town.

www.mahonebay.com

I would head down the # 3 Lighthouse Route to Hubbards and then take the faster 103 hwy to exit 10 Mahone Bay and backtrack perhaps coastal for aways and then reconnect to the 103 back to Halifax depending on time.

Just a few ideas to ponder, best wishes,

blondie*

Do remember the faster 103 hwy runs adjacent to the # 3 Lighthouse Route so you can gain access quite easily, exception applies between Hubbards and Tantallon exits 5 and 6 has the longest duration without an exit ramp.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

I absolutely agree with blondie091 on Peggys Cove. It´s not overhyped, the sheer beauty of the area is breathtaking. You don´t have to go to the lighthouse, though.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

I love Peggy's Cove, but you want to try to get there early morning or evening to avoid the crowds.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

The evenings are beautiful out there, gorgeous sunsets !

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

We overnighted in Lunenburg -'morning at maritime museum there; left by 11 , stopped briefly at Chester and Mahone Bay. Enough time for good 3 hour stop/ lunch at Peggy's Cove. Got into Halifax in time for dinner and walking waterfront.

That was one way travel. Lunenburg is gorgeous, but a stretch if you have to be back in Halifax same night.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: feasible to do Halifax, peggy's Cove and Lunenburg in l day

If you just want to see things and not stay too long, it is quite easy to do these in one day. Peggy's Cove is nice, but realistically you'll be hard pressed to spend more than an hour or two unless you want to eat etc. Lunenburg is a relatively short drive (by most cities standards) and unless you want to linger again you can do it in an hour.