We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

Hello, hoping someone can give me some advice. My fiance and I are staying in Cavendish (PEI) for three nights late September. We wanted to head down to Maine, or Boston, but didn't want to drive. Am finding it particularly difficult to find any buses or trains that don't take a long route back inland, rather than simply down the coast - the way I want to go. We will already be coming from Toronto and Montreal, and the Greyhound services seem to go back that way via Moncton and such... Does anyone know of any kind of service from PEI that goes to a main stop in Canada or USA that will get us back on a train or bus route so we can get to Boston inexpensively? Flights are quite costly too from what I can gather. Most appreciative of any 'local' insights. Thanks, Sarah :-)

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154956-i833-k4696…

Sarah

This question comes up frequently in the New Brunswick forum. Above is a link to the most recently asked question. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. The Maritime provinces and northern Maine do not have the population to sustain good public transportation links.

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

Thanks for the link, will do some more reading. Am surprised it's a bit tricky to get around, but am still looking forward to visiting the area :-)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,378 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

We have very few people and you pretty well have to drive. And crossing the border has been much more complicated since 9-11.

Boston
Level Contributor
41 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

Montreal is much closer to Boston than Cavendish is to Boston and the transportation options are much more abundant. You could beat it down to Boston and back to Montreal in the length of time it would take you to go from Cavendish to Boston.

(I did the Boston to PEI trip by car this summer and have done the Boston to Montreal trip many times by car, bus train and plane.)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

I agree with robbski - it would be easier to make your way back to Montreal to get to Boston. Even here in Halifax we have no easy way to get to Boston except to fly.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

Hi Sarah B,

Welcome to the HALIFAX TRAVEL FORUM.

If you are touring the Maritimes anyway… you might as well just make your way to one of the cities and fly to Maine or Boston

Halifax would probably be the natural choice here as your take-off point... as it is the biggest city Down East… and would offer up the best options when it comes to flights into Boston in particular

Example… Air Canada One-Way Halifax to Boston starting at $ 357 = $ 447 CDN Taxes & Fees included. A Direct Flight would take aprox 1-1/2 Hours Flying Time (NOTE – Times provided by the Airlines’s Website)

As stated by others, being two countries… and BOTH having SCANT Populations, does make for issues when it comes to easily hopping back and forth between the two across the International Border… this part of the country IS NOT like Southern Ontario where Millions & Millions of people live (the Golden Horseshoe = Pop est. at 8 Million… and another 1.2 Million in the Buffalo CSA)… so the drive / train / bus / walk etc is easy between Southern Ontario & New York State in the Niagara Region.

By comparison, Upstate Maine and Western New Brunswick have tiny tiny rural populations (Maine Total State = 1.3 Million + New Brunswick Total Province = 751,000)

Since the demise of the Yarmouth NS – Portland Maine Cat Ferry that linked our two countries together… choices have gotten even slimmer and more difficult to plan.

If you have your heart set on seeing Maine, you pretty much have two choices these days…

The Bus that was mentioned in one of the linked posts (Bus Saint John to Saint Stephen… then walk across the Bridge to Calais… then Bus from Calais to Bangor). But the timing of it might not be what one could call convenient or frequent (again a fact of life in places with SCANT populations)

OR

Look at doing the “puddle jumper” that now runs out of Yarmouth to Porland… not a cheap alternative ($ 345 CND one way… and I’m not sure if that is Taxes & Fees in… but I think so) it is BUT still another way to get to Maine. Once in Portland you could access public transit towards Boston, or rent a car.

A Direct Flight with Twin Cities Air would take aprox 1-1/4 Hours Flying Time (NOTE – Times provided by the Airline’s Website)

Twin Cities Air Service = www.yarmouthairport.ca/flight_schedules.html

Unlike Canada, the US with its bigger population base (310 Million vs our mere 34 Million), doesn’t usually present a lot of issues when it comes to picking up Rental Cars in one location, and dropping them off in another. And most companies will also offer unlimited mileage as well.

Something to consider… IMO a lot less hassle than heading back to Montreal… (As a longtime poster in the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM… I can tell you that Montreal will have it’s own issues getting to Boston… super lengthy Bus OR Train Rides… and not all that convenient or cheap either).

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

7. Re: Prince Edward Island to Maine or Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 21:18