We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

We are 2 Australians traveling to the maritime states and wonder if it is possible to rent a small house or apartment around the harbor in Halifax and use it as a base to travel around ns. We have approx 7 days as we are driving and plan to catch the ferry from st johns, new Brunswick to ns around 20 June until 27 June and go to Pei for 3-4 days and then drive back to boston before flying home on 2july 2012. Any suggestions of things to do and places to stay would be much appreciated

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

You should check out the www.novascotia.com website, it will give you a list of all the things to do - and registered (inspected) properties for places to stay. Since you want to stay in the heart of the largest city in the Maritimes, are you mainly interested in city based activities? If not, you may want to look at a place outside the city in more natural surroundings. Where you stay would really depend on what you want to do though, there are lots of choices in Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,962 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

I know we look small on a globe or world map, but we are not small enough to base yourself in Halifax and drive around.

There are not many waterfront houses on Halifax Harbour. There are condominiums and hotels.

You could find a cottage on the water outside the city, perhaps heading south towards Lunenburg.

If you want to see Cape Breton you would have to stay there.

Here is a map to give you some idea of driving times. http://g.co/maps/rcj7a

With only seven days you will not be able to see everything so go through the guide on novascotia.com and make your choices. Be sure to order the free map and guide.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Try kijiji. We rented a house pretty cheaply just outside Halifax by that website.

www.kijiji.ca

If you pick the halifax location, that will get you all around the metro area.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Anytime you rent a non-commercial accommodation, you need to exercise "due diligence" in checking it out but doubly so if you are doing it through kijiji. I'm not saying that all kijiji rentals are a scam but a quick google search (or do a search here on TA - there was some discussion about this in, I believe, the Montreal forum a while back) will pull up all sorts of common scams that do occur. At least when you go through the provincially registered and licensed accommodations in the provincial government's tourism guide, you know that they are bonafide, and if anything goes wrong, you will have some recourse. If you transfer money as a deposit to secure a rental on kijiji and turn up to find there is no house, you'll be out of luck in getting back your cash.

Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Your best best is to visit and stay in hotels at various locations.

You really can't base yourself in Halifax to visit Charlottetown, PEI for the day. It is a 4 hour drive from Halifax to Charlottetown.

Your best bet is to stay in hotels for a few nights in each location and keep moving forward.

And just keep in mind that Halifax to Boston is a 12 hr drive.

FYI, Canada has provinces and the USA has states - and I say this with all due respect.

Also, don't forget you will need separate travel medical insurance while you are in Canada.

Edited: 09 February 2012, 00:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Great advice thank you.will stick to yr suggestion. Sounds like we are better off trying inns and hotels around the province of ns. Any recommendation.?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Thank you. Sounds like a road trip around ns is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Are you leaving from Boston on June 20th?

Do you want to do a lot of driving or looking?

What do you like to see or do? Hiking? History?

Are there provinces you want to see in particular?

If I have a general idea of what you want to see, I could steer to in a better direction. :)

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Since you are taking the ferry into NS from NB, you will be coming in to Digby. From Digby you could drive down the Digby Neck to go whale watching. Its the early part of the season, but should be lots of whales around. That will take a full day. From there I would head across the province to the Liverpool area. Its a beautiful area of white sand beaches and small Islands - has a almost Caribbean look to it on a bright sunny day - until you feel the water temperatures. That area would be good for a couple of days with travel time.

Then I would head up to one of the most dramatic parts of eastern Canada, the big tides region of the upper Bay of Fundy. From Parrsboro to Advocate Harbour you can take in some of the most picturesque coastline you will see anywhere. Especially around Cape Chignecto Park, where towering cliffs meet those largest tides on earth, which will be twice the size as what you will see in the Digby area. Good for two days with travel time. From there you are only a 2 hour drive to the bridge to PEI, for the last leg of your trip. For the Digby and Advocate areas you can find accommodations and things to do at www.bayoffundy.travel www.fundyfun.com is another good site. Of course the www.novascotia.com site will give you all the info you need for the entire province. This would give you a look at some of the most naturally beautiful spots on the east coast before heading to PEI.

Edited: 11 February 2012, 21:53
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a house around harbourfront in halifax

Consider breaking Nova Scotia up into certain areas. One area would be the Annapolis Valley which would include Windsor, Wolfville, Digby, Annapolis Royal. One area would be the South Shore which would include Lunenburg, Mahone Bay, Chester, Bridgewater. One area could be Halifax. One area could be Cabot Trail in Cape breton, etc. If you order the Doers and Dreamers guide through the tourism website it will show you how to look at the province in certain divided areas. My guess is the most popular areas would be Halifax, South Shore, Annapolis Valley and Cabot Trail but there are more. Decide which areas appeal to you the most as they offer a wide variety of options. Once you decide on which ones you want to see the most post some questions on that specific area asking for suggestions on where to stay, where to eat, etc. There are just too many places to suggest until you narrow things down a bit.

Enjoy NS it is my fav spot in the world!