We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sussex
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

Looking forward to our fortnight in NS starting 15 August and have been finding out lots from this forum. We are booked into the Atlantica for our first 2 nights -but like to try local cafes for breakfast -any suggestions please? Also any reccommended car hire -looks like most are quite a way away. Finally we enjoy hiring bikes -how cycle friendly is Halifax bearing in mind we have cycled in Toronto and London so are reasonably ok with traffic. Any suggestions for cycle hire locations nearby. (Realising that the Atlantica is a bit way out from the main bustle)

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

Atlantica is a tiny bit out of the "downtown" but you are very close. I used to live for many years close to Quinpool Road and Robie Street where Atlantica is located, there are some tasty restaurants on Quinpool Road and it is very walkable. In fact for a few years I walked back and forth from Quinpool Road to my office job on the downtown waterfront five days a week, it is a pleasant walk. You could easily walk across the commons and be at Citadel Hill which overlooks the downtown and waterfront, or head down Robie and be at the public gardens within a few minutes walk.

Halifax is pretty good for biking, but the downtown is a bit hilly, so be prepared for that. I can't help with care hire or cycle hire but I can help with restaurant choices.

One restaurant that is great for breakfast and is very close by to your hotel is Jane's On The Common http://www.janesonthecommon.com/?q=node/11 It is routinely voted as "best breakfast" and "best brunch" in Halifax.

Another restaurant close by to your hotel (a short walk up Quinpool Road) is the Ardmore Tea Room. This is a classic diner that is a staple for university students that live in the area. It opens super early and is popular with taxi cabs, etc. thecoast.ca/halifax/… Before you walk up to the Ardmore Tea Room please phone and make sure they are open, I have heard rumors that they may be closing for good but I can't confirm. This place has been around for years and years so if this is rumor is true it is a real shame. Again, it is routinely voted as "best breakfast" and "best brunch".

Cora's is a popular spot for breakfast http://www.chezcora.com/halifax and is located near Spring Garden Road downtown. They specialize in breakfast and is very popular.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

There is a bike shop on Quinpool Rd called Cyclesmith. I am not sure if they rent bikes but it is within a walk. There is also this website www.iheartbikeshfx.com/bikerentalshalifax/ These guys do rent bikes and the website has some great maps and information about the area for bikers. You are in a good area for biking as it is realitively flat, but if you venture downtown, coming back will be a hard pedal. Halifax itself is not huge so don't think because you are at the Atlantica that you are outside of the action. Robie Street is not that far away from Downtown.

Quinpool Rd has many great restaurants, Cafes and shopping. Here's their site. http://www.quinpoolroad.ca/ Everything here is within walking distamce to the Atlantica. My favourites are the Ardmore Tea Room and Freeman's.

The best advise I can give you an car rentals is to book Enterprise. They will come get you. this way you don't have to be with in proximity of their office. There are several in the city, but I would book ahead.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

I'll second the recommendation for Jane's On The Common for breakfast, it's a short walk away, and the food is excellent. The Ardmore Tea Room further up Quinpool is maybe 10-15 minutes' walk away, but certainly a good choice. The problem with it is that it's small and usually packed... but so is Jane's.

Bikes are pretty popular in Halifax, just bear in mind that the city is built on some steep hills, and be careful especially downtown because there are a lot of drivers who don't share the road well with cyclists.

4. Re: Breakfast, car and bike hire near Atlantica hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:15