We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2013 - What's going on?

Toronto
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
August 2013 - What's going on?

Just wondering what big events, festivals or conferences are going on in Halifax this August.

We normally travel from Toronto to Halifax during the first week of August and have been able to get 4 star hotels for $85/night on sites such as Hotwire.com or Priceline.com...not in 2013! Prices are closer to $190/night this year.

Other than the Seaport Beerfest and August being high-season...what's going on this year?

Thanks!!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

I am not sure, but there is something almost every weekend in the summer. Natal Day parades and festivities are in the first week:

http://www.natalday.org/

If you wait you may get better deals on Hotwire and Priceline, but then again you may get shut out. The old Citadel Inn is torn down and a new one is under construction, so there are fewer beds in the city perhaps.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

I seriously doubt you'll get an $85.00 rate in a 4 star hotel in Halifax in August. If you have in the past it must have been a slow time for that hotel. Hotels generally run 85-90% in Halifax in August.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

I agree, not sure how you did it in the past -a lot of time lucky to find a room.!!

Also National Geographic has Louisbourg and Cabot Trail in top 20 must sees of 2013 that's a large audience and I'm sure the rest of the province will get some residual benefit.

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Edited: 04 March 2013, 19:42
Cedar City, Ut
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

What are the dates for the Tattoo performances? Are they in August or Sept?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,579 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

http://www.nstattoo.ca/

The Tattoo is in July.

Cedar City, Ut
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

Thank you. We can't make it in July....maybe next year.

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

The Tattoo is always on the first week of July.

Toronto
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

I took a look back at my travel docs for previous August trips...

...in 2009 we stayed at the Westin for $92/night and in 2010 for $89/night. Not quite as cheap as I thought, but still much better than $190/night...

I guess Halifax has become a much more popular destination in the past couple of years (rightly so). Perhaps I'll be able to find a sale on flights instead ;-)

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

Wow, at the Westin....You can't stay at a Holiday Inn here for that Price. You got lucky for sure.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August 2013 - What's going on?

Busker Festival is always fun...usually 10 days...crap, just checked, it is now only 7 days and runs July 31-Aug 5.

http://www.buskers.ca/