We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax and surrounding area.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Halifax and surrounding area.

i will be visiting Halifax in July. While I am there to visit friends. i don't want to be stuck just visiting. I want to have some time to get out and explore. how far away is Brier Island? How far away is Lunenburg? If we went to Yarmouth, how long will it take us to get to Bar Harbor, Maine? I can only do one of these which would be my best bet? Just being anyway near the ocean is all i need. Thinking 2 - 3 days away from halifax

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

The Cat no longer goes to Bar Harbour....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will look at other adventures.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

Brier Island is located in the southwestern portion of the province, and is a good 4 hr drive from Halifax, including two small ferries...each way.

Lunenburg is less than 100 km from Halifax, just over an hour's drive. This calculator may help you plan your trip: novascotia.com/en/…distancecalculator.aspx

As mentioned in the first reply...there is no longer a ferry that runs between Nova Scotia and Maine, so that part of your plan is out!

If you are looking for beach, salt air, etc check out Lawrencetown Beach http://lawrencetownbeach.com/ which is much closer to Halifax.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

If you are really looking for a great beach, I would recommend Risser's Beach, just outside of Bridgewater. It would take you about an hour and a half drive to get there, and you could stop at Lunenburg and Mahone Bay along the way. Two very pretty towns. They have a campground there, and you are basically camping next to the beach on the other side of the road. You can hear the waves at night. It is a long, sandy beach with shallow water and very beautiful. There are literally hundreds of beaches along the coast and all vastly different depending on which side of Nova Scotia you are on. There tends to be sandy beaches on the eastern side, while the highest tides in the world are on the western side, and these beaches are usually really rocky. There is lots to do and see here in July. Check out Tourism Nova Scotia website for a list of festivals going on at that time. Enjoy!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

As a previous poster has already stated, there are lots of beaches along the Atlantic coastline. You'll see many of them is you stick to Highway #3, rather than the 103. Yes, it will take longer to get to Lunenburg, but you'll see so much more.

If you do decide to make your way down to Brier Island, plan to make stops in both Annapolis Royal and Digby. If you're into wine, you may want to get there via the Gaspereau Valley. Wolfville is also a pretty town.

You'll find artisans abound wherever you go, and folks will be happy to talk to you and point you in the right direction. Hope you enjoy your visit here.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

Wow, great information, I have saved it all. Will check out all the recommendations. Am really looking forward to my trip. Thanks everyone!

toronto
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

If you're looking for adventures and great sights, and you have a couple of days at least, I would recommend you seriously consider Cape Breton Island. The Cabot Trail is considered one of North America's most scenic drives, especially through Cape Breton Highlands National Park. There is great hiking, whalewatching, wildlife-viewing and several good beaches. Fiddle music in the evenings in a variety of venues. Acadian and Celtic culture. This is a truly spectacular part of Nova Scotia.

There are lots of hidden gem beaches along the South Shore and as you get farther from Halifax, they tend to be more lightly used (some are practically empty on weekdays even in summer). Lunenburg and Mahone Bay are both charming towns to wander, and there are many smaller picturesque fishing villages to photograph.

If you decide on Brier Island, you may want to book a Whale-watching tour as this can be quite special in the Bay of Fundy with the potential for seeing the large species, sometimes up close (with luck). Book this as much in advance as you can, they're popular.

You were asking how far some of these are. Google Maps is pretty good for distances and driving times between destinations.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

If you want to do something different and have a bit of adventure then I agree with Mat 54 above re Cape Breton but you do need 3 days if not 4 to really give it justice. My second choice would be Brier Island for both the Zodiac tour and hike to Balancing Rock. No offence to South shore beaches but you can hang out at a beach anytime.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

But if you come from Winnipeg, you don't get to hang out on an ocean beach very often...

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Halifax and surrounding area.

No that;s true, but you can hang out at Black Rock Beach at Point Pleasant Park while you are in Halifax. You can't speed around the Bay of Fundy or view whales, fishing boats, puffins, eagles form Cape Breton Highlands!!!