We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graves Island or Porters Lake

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
24 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Graves Island or Porters Lake

We are looking at tenting near Halifax for 3 days this summer in conjunction with the rest of our trip (Fundy and Cape Breton) which you all have kindly helped us plan!

While looking for private, quiet tent sites with access to the good sites near Halifax as well as access to the beach somewhere. Would you recommend Graves Island or Porters Lake, and why? Thanks!

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
24 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

To add to this, would Ovens Park be an alternative to the provincial parks we should consider? I hear nice things online about it, but it's hard to know if it would give the same privacy and seclusion that we're seeking.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

I'm not familar with Porters Lake, but we always like the Provincial Parks as they give you more privacy. Although haven't camped at Graves Island, it is a beautiful area & close to Chester & Mahone Bay. We have visited Ovens Park, but also haven't camped there.

I noted that the campsites seemed closer together than the Provincial Parks,

Edited: 31 March 2013, 03:38
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

In general provincial sites have more privacy. Graves Island is right on the bay salt water so bonus would be less bugs also a lot more to see and do around that area as apposed Porters Lake if not beach weather.

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

I'm a camping regular around the province so I'll jump in and add my opinion. The top three in order are.

1. The Ovens: This campground cost a few dollars more but if you want to be on the ocean and hear the sound of the waves at night this is the spot. Sites are large and there is lots of privacy. Book sites 105-110 as they are on the ocean. The downside is the place is a bit outdated as the washrooms and showers need some TLC. If you can work with that then go for it. It is about an hour outside of Halifax.

2. Graves Island: This is a provincial park and very nice!. Washrooms and Showers are always clean and there is lots of wooded and open sites. They are doing a major renovation to the grounds so one section is shut down for the season. The new section has lots of sites but are mostly open. Not bad though! Drive time about 30 minutes from Halifax.

3. Porter's Lake: Provincial Park with clean facilities as well. Not a bad spot but not as nice as most other parks as Hurricane Juan blew most of the trees down. Drive time about 30 minutes from Halifax.

Hope this helps!

Halifax, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

Sorry I forgot to mention the Ovens has a pool for swimming. Graves Island has no pool or beach and Porter's lake has a beach.

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
24 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

Thanks! We booked at Graves to be closer to Halifax and near to Lunenburg too. Hoping to check out both communities.

Do you recommend any area swimming beaches above others?

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

There are some wonderful swimming beaches nr Lunenburg -Green Bay and Rissers are both fabulous, or smaller towards Halifax- Hubbards, Queensland and Cleveland.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 12:26
haligonian_trekker
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

Hirtles Beach is also nice, and has a good hiking trail as well.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

Did you consider Laurie Park in Wellington?

East Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
24 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Graves Island or Porters Lake

CGRENO,

The only reason we didn't was a desire to be nearer (or on) the coast. Our kids never see shells or saltwater, so we figured anything that gets some salt-air in our lungs would be a winner. :)

Laurie park looks great, though. DO you recommend it?