We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Hi,

Me and my partner are planning to travel on the following roadtrip in August. We have 15 nights and have already booked our flights so our start and end destinations are pretty fixed. I just wanted to post our itineraryto see if people who have been to those areas can let me know if they think we are spending too long/too short in some areas or are missing out something en route that is definitely worth seeing. We are in our late 20's and the main activites of our trip will be hiking/cycling, spotting wildlife, looking to do some "at sea" activities i.e.sailing and whale watching, eating! Generally pretty chilled but making the most of each place as much as we can in the timeframe. So the plan at the moment is:

Halifax x 2nights

Prince Edward Island x 2nights

Fundy National Park x 1 night

Bar Harbor x 4 nights

White Mountain National Forest, North Conway x 3 nights

Montreal x 3 nights

Plus if anyone knows how to avoid the "one way fee" on car rental please let me know.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Wow! This is like spending two nights in Paris, two in London, etc.

I can understand the desire to see a lot but you need a day or more to make each move so you will have very little time to look around. I assume you will do the whale watching from Bar Harbour?

http://goo.gl/maps/FJcmv

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Make sure your car rental agreement allows you to go into the USA.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,054 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Since you are coming all the way to Nova Scotia you should think about seeing more than Halifax. It is a small, wonderful city, but Nova Scotia is better known for it's scenic seacoast and fishing villages. I would look at staying somewhere between Halifax and Lunenburg. Take this route for some great scenery:

http://goo.gl/maps/b7aif

I would consider staying one more night at least in Nova Scotia and one less in PEI.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

This is a really ambitious plan with a lot of driving from place to place. You might want to consider staying on the Canadian side of the border as August can be a busy time at the Customs crossings. Coming from Bristol, U.K., I am assuming that you are not travelling on either a Canadian or USA passport which can cause even further waiting times. And, as graywolfpack has indicated, there can be a question about taking a rental car between countries.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Thanks for your comments, I will def take them into consideration :)

Quebec City, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

May I ask from which airline you booked your flight?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Yup, we are flying with Air Canada

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

You will be in the car a lot, which is going to take away from your quality time actually getting out there and hiking, biking, whale watching or other activities. You can easily spend an active holiday doing something new every day - just in Nova Scotia with 2 weeks. If you have your flights already booked I guess you cant change that, but for some ideas in doing what interests you check out www.novascotia.com

Halifax
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Hi Penny,

I agree with what others are saying in that this is a very ambitious trip. Definitely do-able, but a lot of driving.

As someone else has mentioned, please ensure that your hire car can be driven outside of the country, most rentals originating in Atlantic Canada cannot be taken outside of Canada. As well, since you are planning on going from Fundy NP into Maine, you will be crossing the US border at St Stephen/Calais. This is one of the busiest crossings, so depending on the time of day (anytime between 8 am - 6 pm) plan on taking at least an hour to cross over the border. They are also very stringent on visitors from outside of North America, so keep smiling while talking with the border agents :)

Concerning Bar Harbour for 4 nights, do you have a list of things that you were looking to do there? I've been to Bar Harbour, and I can't imagine what you will be doing for 4 days... (no offense to Bar Harbour! )

I'm guessing that you are planning a lot of boating type activities from there. You might want to think about spending some more time in Halifax at the beginning of your trip and doing some of those things here. Halifax has a bit more of a night life than Bar Harbour does.

North Conway for 3 days will be fairly good. They are known for their tax free shopping and you can easily do a few 1-2 hour drive day trips from there. I've visited that area over a dozen times in the past 10 years so I'm very familiar with it.

Please feel free to get in touch with me directly if you wanted to talk about any specifics. I'm always happy to talk to someone from Bristol, as my family is from there :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Montreal

Thanks for your help! Been sorting out car rental this week so I made sure to check we can cross over into the US. Regarding bar harbor, chose there to mainly explore acadia national park as there seemed so much to do when i had a brief search on google. I know we are doing a lot of driving but we do enjoy the "on the road" aspect to our holidays and did a similar one in california last year. Now we have to start figuring out our final route so all advice is really useful :)