We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

Duncan, BC
1 post
Save Topic
What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

My son and I are flying to Halifax arriving early Sat morning and leaving Tuesday. We have never been to Nova Scotia (or eastern Canada) before. A very short trip but that is all the time I could take off. We are spending Monday at Kings University (where my son will be going to school in Sept) and Dalhousie doing tours. We only have Saturday, Sunday and Tues morning to sight see and tour around. I am renting a car and would love to do a day road trip tour. What would be the best sights to see in this short time frame?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

I see this is your first post. Welcome to Trip Advisor.

For a day trip, I would suggest driving along the coast going in and out of little villages, including Peggy's Cove, Chester and then going on the Mahone Bay and Lunenburg. You could possible stay overnight in Lunenburg but it is under two hours away from Halifax on the highway depending where you are staying. You could have a fresh lobster lunch at Ryers which I have put on the map.

Of course you will want to explore around Halifax as well. Check out the waterfront, Spring Garden Road, all the pubs in the downtown area, The Maritime Museum and much more.

Be sure to go here for lots of information about things to see and do:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Also check out previous reports by going here, or by putting words such as 'Lunenburg' into the search feature below.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

Here is a map:

http://goo.gl/maps/D34tc

Edited: 23 April 2013, 23:07
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

If you would like to tour around the next day you could head down 101 to Grand Pre'/Wolfville and the Bay of Fundy.

Grand Pre was designated UNESCO World Heritage in 2012, sight of the expulsion of Acadians by the British some of which settled in Louisianna..

Drive over the dykes to Halls Harbour on the Bay of Fundy then along to Look off, Scott's Bay and Blomidon. If you feel energetic could hike out to Cape Split.

If you are interested in wines there are numerous wineries in the area for tasting tours. Lucketts and Grand Pre also have restaurants.

Numerous great restaurants and pubs in the area to choose from for lunch or early dinner.

Wolfville, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

I would second the suggestion to visit the Wolfville area (also home of Acadia University). What are your interests?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

I would spend Saturday checking out Halifax. Where are you staying? I am a Dalhousie alumni and remember very well heading to Dal for orientation tour, how exciting for your son!

On Saturday I would walk down Spring Garden Road, Barrington Street. Check out the waterfront and historic properties, Citadel Hill, the market and just get a feel for the city. Halifax is very walkable and touristy and the downtown isn't too far from Kings and Dal. That evening check out a local pub or restaurant. Not sure if your son is of drinking age (19 in NS) but if so you might enjoy the Alexander Keith's Brewery Tour which includes actors and music and beer. Not sure if the Harbour Hopper will be running yet but if so I recommend it as it is a nice tour offering a great overview of the Halifax downtown.

On Sunday I would do one of two things: either take a road trip to Peggy's Cove/Mahone Bay/Lunenburg or take a road trip to Wolfville/Grand Pre. Both options are very popular tourist areas and both have lots to offer. Wolfville area is wineries, restaurants, orchards, farm markets, pretty views, hiking, halls Harbour fishing village. Lunenburg would offer iconic Peggy's cove lighthouse, cute communities on the sea, Lunenburg has a nice fisheries museum and is known as the home of the Bluenose.

5. Re: What to see with only 3 days in halifax area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:17