We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Bye to another Business Downtown

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Good Bye to another Business Downtown

Message from the owners of the Pogue Fado that closed it's doors yesterday.

"After a decade of business, today we bid you farewell. A long and careful evaluation of our position indicates to us, like it has to others in our industry, that moving forward given the current business environment downtown simply doesn't make sense. Thus, we will cease operations effective immediately."

Why are we losing these bars and restaurants downtown?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

Are there a lot of places closing downtown??

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

No need to panic, there are still lots down there but the restaurants and bars are finding it hard to survive. The Downtown core is struggling between profit and making it affordable to eat and drink downtown. It's a fine line. These guys that owned the Pogue were Airline employees that got together and opened a bar for a bit of fun and when the purse strings get tightened, it's hard to have fun at it anymore.

I wouldn't open a restaurant or bar in these economic times, the price of food and booze is so high.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

It's a shame that it is hurting decent places...

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

I liked the Pogue Fado and went there in February. But the ebb and flow of restaurants and bars opening and closing is not a new thing in downtown Halifax. It happens. Won't be long and something else will open in its place. Circle of life!

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

The Palace closed it's door last Month also. That's a big hole in the Night Club business in Halifax. I understand a developer is alrteady remodelling it for offices or something.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

I have owned 3 Bar/Restaurants in Halifax.

It is a very tough business but the smart operators survive and thrive.

Examples of the Maurizo ,Midtown ,Chives, Wooden Monkey and lots of others.

The mistake is usually made by people who think it is cool to own a place.

5 owners , hardly ever works. Too many different opinions !

You have to operate as a business not as your party place.

I have heard that this was operated by Ego driven Doormen that were more interested in dates than the best interest of the business. If this was true, shame on the 5 owners.

I was there twice and didn't want to go back.

Downtown is thriving all across Canada. Think Montreal.

The Operators have to get innovative and copy what works in other bigger Cities.

BYOW is huge and draws a big crowd. We tried this here but charge $25.00 to open your wine. Not going to work!

Like I said a tough business, but the smart guys survive. (Mic Mac Tavern)

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

Hey Wild,

Couldn't agree more. Seeing bars open and close because someone feels it's cool to own a bar makes me wonder how these people live their daily lives. I went to a bar recently where the owner took a rag and shined the same unoccupied bar at least 15 times during my visit. She was standing proudly as me and 4 other peaople "packed" her bar. It takes hard work and a love of the business to make it work. Not the right business to be in if you want to sit back and rake the money in.

8. Re: Good Bye to another Business Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 06:19