We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

Andover...
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

We are leaving early saturday morning and staying one night in Calais ME Any suggestions or comments for a return route? Is Calais or another crossing best? Any tips helpful. Also any suggestions for place to stay in Maine on return!! We are visiting family for a sat-tues short stretch!

Thank you in advance for any help, we are 60and do not mind the drive. (seasick-no CAT)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

The CAT no longer in operation.

I don't recall Calais as being overly picturesque. You might consider crossing the border and heading to Saint Andrews By the Sea, in New Brunswick,

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

Have you made your reservations for Calais yet? Because believe me, there is only one place worth staying in that town and that is the Greystone B&B http://greystonecalaisme.com/ The Calais Motor Inn or as I affectionately call it the "Bates Motel of Calais" is not fit for humans. There is also the International Motel. We already have our reservations made for Greystone for a stay in a couple of weeks.

Remember when you cross into NB from Maine the time will advance one hour to Atlantic time zone from Eastern. The crossing at Calais is fine, there are three separate crossings to choose from so you shouldn't have to worry about delays.

As the previous poster mentioned, Calais is not particularly scenic and the choices for dining are limited. Depending on your tastes,you may want to check out Bistro on the boulevard tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g499185-d178… .

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

Calais is the place to cross. Look for places to stay in the St. Andrews New Brunswick area. On the way back you may find it convenient to stay in Bangor. There are a few places, but not many, on the road between these two.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,120 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

One of my fondest memories of a road trip a few years ago was staying at the Youngtown Inn, in Lincolnville, Maine (inland from Camden). Beautiful spot with wonderful meals and hosts.

http://youngtowninn.com/

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

Totally agree with KCNovaScotia - the Calais Motor Inn/Bates Motel is horrendous! I wouldn't stay there again if my life depended on it!!!

I would definitely cross at Calais, but continue on into New Brunswick and find somewhere else to stay.

Is there a reason you're splitting the drive up into two days? The drive from Manchester to Lower Sackville can easily be done in one day - I've done Dartmouth to Boston too many times to count! :)

~ martinigoddess

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,974 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

All I can say martinigoddess is that you are young! It is probably a 12 hour drive without stops. Google says ten hours but there will be traffic and construction.

Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

We always cross at Houlton, ME at the top of the I-95. Leaving Halifax it is about a 5 hour drive to the border and then another 2 hours to Bangor.

Bangor to Halifax is a very easy drive - at least in my opinion having done it at least a dozen times or more. You will get better hotel choices in Bangor as well - although overpriced. IMO as well.

Safe travels.

8. Re: Driving from Manchester NH to Lower Sackville Nova Scotia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19