We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nova Scotia in September

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Nova Scotia in September

Here's a VERY broad question to field.... My husband and I are planning a trip to Maine and Nova Scotia in September. We are, as of now, planning to fly into Boston, rent a car and proceed northward. Our first stop will be in Portland, Maine for a day or two then drive to Nova Scotia. I can't decide if we should take a ferry to Yarmouth and then drive around to different cities OR should we take the more scenic route and drive into Halifax? I've read so many interesting tips and ideas from various sites that I keep wanting to add more and more to my stay. I'm not a big itinerary plan person, more like a fly by the seat of my pants. I love spending time in interesting areas and just taking it in. It's never about how many places I can see in a day. We haven't settled on where we are staying in Nova Scotia because we haven't decided on the approach.

After spending several days in Nova Scotia we will drive back to Boston were we plan on staying for a day or two before heading back home.

Would love to get a few suggestions or just your comments in general! Thanks so much!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nova Scotia in September

Hi. It's great you have come here to do a bit of planning.

We could help you better if we knew a bit more about your interests. "Several days" is not very long to spend in Nova Scotia. You will have to add more days or limit what you try to do. Two weeks is a bare minimum to tour the province easily and even then, of course, you do not see everything. It would be good if you could tell us how long you will have here. For sure with just a few days you cannot visit the mainland of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton (an island which is part of Nova Scotia although the locals may not say so!)

You mention "cities." We only have two. We have many towns and villages and of course rural areas. This is where the scenery and many of the attractions are.

There is no ferry from Portland to Yarmouth this year. So you will be driving around. There is a ferry from Saint John, New Brunswick to Digby, Nova Scotia, but it does not save time or money.

September can be a great time to come as many tourists are gone and you are before October which in Cape Breton is busy because of the Celtic Colours Festival. You should be able to tour without booking ahead for most places as long as you are flexible.

You can do three things to start your planning:

1. Go here to the Nova Scotia visitors website and request a guide book and map and study all the information on the website: www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

2. Go here to read trip reports from previous visitors: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g154967-c157554/Nova-S…

3. Go back to the main Nova Scotia page here and look at other current threads which likely will contain useful information for you: tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154967-i326-Nova_S…

Then come back with more questions.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nova Scotia in September

First thing to do is to make sure you can take your rental car out of the U.S. and into Canada. As MaryAnn has pointed out, thre is no ferry from Portland Maine, or Bar Harbor for that matter, to Nova Scotia. So, unless you are headed to the SW corner of Nova Scotia, the ferry that runs between Saint John New Brunswick to Digby Nova Scotia is really of no value to you. So our first recommendation for you is to drive through New Brunswick and into Nova Scotia. Remember too, as you plan, that as you cross the border from Maine into Canada, the time zone advances from Eastern to Atlantic...(1 pm becomes 2 pm). Good to keep in mind if you have reservations to keep!

The second question is where are you planning on visiting? As MaryAnn points out...you need to do a little leg work first, and then come back to the forum with a few more questions. Cape Breton is a very popular part of our province for tourists (and with good reason...it is stunningly beautiful) and if your visit is at the end of September, when the foliage may be starting to change....you need to think about reservations.

The area known as the South Shore, offers a more coastal view, with towns and villages on the ocean which may appeal to you as well.

The Annapolis Valley, with its wineries, and small historic towns like Annapolis Royal, home of one of the first English speaking settlements in North America and fabulous B&Bs is another choice.

If you are interested in visiting some of our many historic sites, their hours of operation may change after Labour Day.

When in September are you planning on travelling? Around Labour Day or at the end of the month? Makes a difference in our recommendations for you. Our province has something for everyone!

3. Re: Nova Scotia in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 July 2013, 18:35
4. Re: Nova Scotia in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:17