We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

I was trying to do some preliminary research for my trip coming up in mid-April and was researching gas prices in Annapolis Royal. I came across this website (link below) that states the prices as 134.4 at a Shell station. I do not intend to sound extremely ignorant, but I have never driven in Canada before, is this really stating the price in Canadian dollars per liter? What is one to expect paying at the pump for a tank on a full size car?

http://annapolisvalley.org/gas-prices.html

Thank you for any and all insight!

Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

It is indeed $134.4 per litre. What does this translate to? I have no idea, maybe someone else can chime in with this. I drive a car with a 70 litre tank. My last two fill ups were around the $85.00 mark.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Note that gas prices in smaller communities tend to be higher than those in cities ... generally due to isolation (not that Annapolis Valley is that isolated), lack of competition, price wars, etc. A good site to check prices for various locations is:

http://www.novascotiagasprices.com/

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Prices change constantly, so check closer to the time you are travelling.

As noted, prices are in litres.

1 US gallon = 3.785 litres.

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Thanks for all the information! I appreciate the 'insider' information.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Just for comparison purposes, regular unleaded gasoline around here sells for $3.00 USD per gallon or $.79 per litre USD. You'll need to take that figure one step further to convert USD to CDN for exact comparison.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 15:16
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Hi Jay;

NO...the price isn't over a hundred dollars per litre, if that's what you were thinking. Everyone is leaving out the decimal after the 1. ( 134.4 )

lol

The price is $1.34 and 4 tenths, per litre and includes all taxes.

A 2014 Chevy Impala has a gas tank that holds 18.5 US gallons. That equals 70.03 litres.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Gas is pricier here no doubt, but the roads up here are also much better at least.....and for the most part, there are a lot less tolls...

Edited: 17 February 2014, 16:09
Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Haven't driven in Halifax lately have you? He he.

Sorry, just re-read my post, yes, that's $1.34 a litre although sometimes it does feel like its over $100/L

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

RescueTeam, thanks so much! I thought I was still missing something big. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm from Texas and down here it's about $3.15 per gallon right now. That's the way it's posted everywhere. So when i pulled up the website that said 134.4 per liter, I started to wonder what I was getting myself into. Thank you so much for the clarification!

Thanks for all the helpful information and suggestions!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

You're Welcome, Jay !

When prices were below $1/L, it made sense to display the price as 89.9, but when it went over a dollar, the general consensus appeared to be to stay with the same format.

For anyone outside of Canada, that number appears to be over $100.00/L. You're not the first visitor to be confused - and won't be the last.

lol

Best Regards

Edited: 17 February 2014, 21:37
Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Prices in Nova Scotia?!

Hi

You will be paying around $1.32 a litre=5 Canadian bucks for a US-6 pint gallon. Think that's expensive ! Well in the UK it would be $8.50 Canadian !!

I'm from the UK and lived in Canada so work this Canadian fiddle out, Milk-no tax-is 2 bucks a litre, gas is $1.30 with tax !! Milk in the UK is 75 cents a litre !!

Enjoy you trip but Canada is expensive !!

Get answers to your questions about Halifax
Recent Conversations