We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Hi, we are driving from Toronto to Halifax this August. We do have our GPS. We just wonder if there is any short cut that we can take to cut down our driving time there. We heard of taking the ferry from NB to Halifax would cut down our driving time tremendously. We like to drive through Quebec. Thanks for any inputs.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

The ferry from Saint John to Digby might cut down driving but not driving time and that would only be if you want to go to Digby or the south-western part of the province.

You have to consider waiting times for the ferry and the cost as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/ND4Gl Halifax to Toronto overland: 17 hours 16 minutes

http://goo.gl/maps/Pr5Pg Toronto to Halifax via ferry: 19 hours 31 minutes, plus waiting, loading and unloading

http://goo.gl/maps/N3N6U Toronto to Digby via ferry: 17 hours 1 minute plus waiting, loading and unloading

http://goo.gl/maps/44ST3 Toronto to Digby overland: 19 hours 10 minutes

Quebec city is a great stopover place though it is closer to Toronto than Halifax.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 16:46
Mentioned in this post
Digby
Digby
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Thanks so much Maryann. We already plan to stop in Quebec City on our way back. On the way there we like to drive at least 12 hours the first day, do you have any recommendation of where we can stopover?

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
23,024 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

You'll hit the 12 hour mark anywhere between Edmundston (10 hours) and Frederiction (13.5 hours)... that's straight driving of course, not including any stops for gas, food, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Edmundston
Edmundston
New Brunswick, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

I have stayed in Fredericton, and being an old city and the capital of New Brunswick, I would aim for it. Grand Falls would also be possible.

You may be fine without a reservation for that night so you could just see how far you get.

Mentioned in this post
Fredericton
Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Thanks phpr and Maryann. We will aim for Fredericton. We are looking forward to this trip. This is our first time going to the east coast :)

Mentioned in this post
Fredericton
Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,058 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

How many days will you have for your trip?

Feel free to ask more questions and check out the Nova Scotia travel website.

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

We will be there for 4 nights (Aug.17-20). I am looking at hotels now. The Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake looks good to me. I don't want to spend more than $150/night for 4 of us. Thanks for the website Maryann.

Mentioned in this post
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake
Comfort Hotel Bayer's...
1,271 Reviews
Halifax, Canada
Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Great suggestions but I want to add one thing if I could. I suggest that you pick a target, be it Edmundston or Fredericton, and make a reservation at a hotel. By 4 PM on that day, if you feel you want to go further, just call the hotel and cancel and call and book the new target area. I know there is a perception out there that you do not need to make reservations but Edmundston for example only has 10 hotels. Thousands of people drive that area on a daily basis. Out of the 10 hotels in that area, there are only 2 or 3 I would recommend, the rest are not that desirable. If you make a reservation, not only will you get a better rate by booking ahead, you are guaranteed a nice hotel. Bouncing from hotel to hotel looking for a room after driving for 12 hours would not be high on my list of vacation musts. Just my opinion. I never go anywhere without a reservation and a back up plan. I have seen too many people sleeping in their cars at a Walmart because they didn't plan ahead.

Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Edmundston
Edmundston
New Brunswick, Canada
Fredericton
Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Thanks notkevin. I definitely will look into booking a room in Fredericton. I just hope my kids won't drive us insane because of the long drive to Halifax. When they were small, we drove many times down to Florida. Hopefully they will be at their best behavior when we go this time :) .

Mentioned in this post
Fredericton
Fredericton
New Brunswick, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Florida
Florida
United States
Bedford, Canada
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Funny how "I Spy" isn't a game they want to play anymore......have a great trip.