We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Which Halifax hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Hi, we are driving from Toronto to Halifax this August. We do have our GPS. We just wonder if there is any short cut that we can take to cut down our driving time there. We heard of taking the ferry from NB to Halifax would cut down our driving time tremendously. We like to drive through Quebec. Thanks for any inputs.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

I assume that with just four days you will just be exploring in and around Halifax. I hope you get to Peggy's Cove and down on the coastal roads at least as far as Lunenburg.

Toronto
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

We would love to stay the whole week but we have a wedding to get back to on Saturday. We will try to do as much as we can. Hopefully the weather will be hot and sunny. Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

If your children are under 10, I would only plan on getting to Edmundston or Grand Falls for the first night. Don't forget you lose an hour as soon as you cross into New Brunswick. Traffic can be bad in Quebec due to construction on the highways and bridges.

It's a much faster drive from Edmundston to Halifax because the highway is almost all twinned and the traffic volume is much lower.

Be sure you find out how to bypass Montreal using the new interchange (hwy 30 I think?) to go south and connect onto Highway 20. It costs about $2 and it makes for a slightly longer distance to drive but it saves a LOT of stress and greatly reduces the chance of getting stuck in rush hour traffic.

On the way back, you can get from Halifax to Drummondville in one really long brutal drive if you want to. If you decide to try that you really MUST make a reservation ahead for Drummondville. We've had times where there is nothing to be found for miles when we didn't have a rez.

Toronto
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Good morning,

Thanks BetCrooks for your suggestions. Our kids are 14 and almost 21 years old. The older one is going to school in Montreal, so we might have to pick her up on the way to Halifax. I have a very silly question to ask: Are there a lot of moose crossing the highway? My husband's co-worker told us to avoid driving through the night.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Much of the Trans-Canada in New Brunswick has moose fences. There are quite a few moose in Cape Breton as well.

I have never seen one but driving at twilight and in the dark is not a good idea.

World
Level Contributor
966 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

If you don't have to go into Montreal the highway 30 (which only opened last year and may not be on your GPS) will save you between 45 mins and 2 hours depending on Montreal traffic.

I have done the drive a lot and either stop in QC and have a relaxed dinner, or I do the whole thing in one shot.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,967 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

The first map I posted takes Route 30. It would save tons of time and traffic.

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Thanks everyone for the info on taking highway 30 that bypasses Montreal...very helpful, and will save us loads of time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

Just one other warning/reminder: Quebec uses photoradar in its construction zones.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
505 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Best route to drive to Halifax from Toronto

I have made this drive many times. It is about 20 hours on the road. We almost always stop in Edmundston; only once made it as far as Grand Falls. We don't usually make a reservation, just get out the smartphone a couple of hours before we want to stop for the night and start calling. We've always found a place to stay though sometimes it's pretty basic.

The Comfort Hotel Bayers Lake is highly rated but not within walking distance of anything except a Wendy's and a Tim Horton's - you'll need the car for everything. (The hotel does have a very good homestyle restaurant called the Canadiana.) It's in an industrial park with lots of major shopping (Costco, Walmart etc.) but not walkable and about a 15-20 minute drive to get downtown. Transit would not be an easy option.

If your budget of $150 is a bit flexible, you're in the ballpark for a room downtown, where you could walk almost everywhere. Much more freedom and a nicer experience overall as most of what you will want to see is downtown. The Prince George (my favourite Halifax hotel) was advertising a double room for $167 CAA rate, Lord Nelson $170, Atlantica Hotel (about a 20 minute walk from the waterfront) $155, Courtyard Marriott $135, Radisson $161. Taxes and parking would be extra though.

Get answers to your questions about Halifax