We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advocate Harbour

Statesboro, Georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
Advocate Harbour

My family will be in Halifax one day the first week of July. The cruise ship docks at 7:00am and departs at 4:00pm. The Bay of Fundy tides viewing is on my Mom's "bucket list". Is Advocate Harbour possible? Any place closer/better to view tides? Thanks all!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advocate Harbour

Hi.

So you have a problem with distance to the Bay of Fundy. You also have a problem with the fact that in order to experience the dramatic change due to the tides you have to see a place during a high and a low tide. The peaks of each of these are about six hours apart.

Probably the closest place to go would be Hall's Harbour near Wolfville. If you happen to be there on the right day you may get some idea of the changing tides.

Hall's Harbour is a small fishing village. You can buy fresh cooked lobster there to enjoy while you watch the tide coming in or going out: tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g499229-d70…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3LtEF9WPt4

If you put in the date you will be here in this tide timetable for nearby Baxter's Harbour you will learn approximately when the high and low tides will be in Hall's Harbour. for instance if you look at the chart for today, June 19 you will see that at 11:45 am the tide will be low with 2 feet of water. At 18:04 at high tide there will be 39 feet of water in the same place. The six hour difference is not exact and the times change every day. www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=305

http://goo.gl/maps/X7f1B

You should be able to do this drive in two hours. That would be four hours round trip, plus the time you are there. You will need to allow an hour from when you dock to when you can get off the ship and get your rental car. You will also need to leave about an hour for returning the car and boarding. So if you stay only an hour in Hall's Harbour, you would still have a seven hour day. You have nine hours in port, so you would have time to do this.

Prearrange your car rental. There are several companies just a few minutes walk away in the Westin Hotel (Via Rail Station). Some companies, I know Enterprise is one, will meet you at the pier. Here are some notes I have compiled from posts here and on Cruisecritic.com over the past few years:

CAR RENTAL

Enterprise and/or National are in the Via rail station in front of Cruise port they are open 9-1 Sundays for Cruise ship passengers 423-0227

Thrifty's is open on Sundays as well as other days in the Westin Hotel beside Via station. This is just a very short walk from the pier. Find the back entrance for the hotel.

982-3474

Budget is open 8-4 on Hollis St. at least 4 blocks good 15 min walk but will pick up at Pier if you have reservation just call as soon as you get in.492-7542

Avis is also open on Grafton if you have reservation will also come and pick you up. tel #492-2847 Note if calling out of province AREA CODE is 902 boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

We just returned. I had prebooked our car rental through Thrifty's in the Westin Hotel right across the street from the port. I had originally tried booking with other rental companies but none of the others were open on the recent holiday Monday. Turned out to be very fortunate as Thrifty's was so convenient to the port and price was the standard going rate. There is a gas station at the grocery store next door to the Westin Hotel so it only took us minutes to refuel before turning the car back in at the front door of the Westin at the end of our day. They provided us with driving maps . . . boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advocate Harbour

If you look on this map you will see walking directions to the front of the Westin Hotel from Pier 21. Your ship will likely be docked there or Pier 22. You want to look for the parking lot at the back of the hotel (towards the water) and use the back entrance. This will be somewhere past where the map says Via Rail.

http://goo.gl/maps/E7yaH

Statesboro, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advocate Harbour

Thank you! I guess if we go to Hall's Harbour we wouldn't have time to see any of Halifax. Oh well, I will leave it up to Mom!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advocate Harbour

Are you going to Saint John in New Brunswick? It is on the Bay of Fundy.

Statesboro, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advocate Harbour

No, we are on the Queen Mary 2. One day in Halifax then to Boston for the 4th of July.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advocate Harbour

Check this tour that meets the cruise ships & does tours to Halls Harbour.

www.brucestours.ca

www.hallsharbour.com

It would probably be much easier for you to take a tour than try to find your way to Halls Harbour on your own. I note it also has a tour that includes both the Bay of Fundy & Halifax.

You don't have to wait the 6 hrs between the high tide & low tide at Halls Harbour. That's because the water goes beyond the harbour & down the beach before it reaches the lowest of the low tide. I have seen the difference within aprox 3 hrs.

Maryann has given you the tide time chart but I would check with the tour company to see if the times would work for the day you are going to be in Halifax. Plus you could also find out about the city tour at the same time.

7. Re: Advocate Harbour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 07:16