We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Halifax winter trip

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Short Halifax winter trip

An airline is offering last minute, cheap fares from my hometown to Halifax, Nova Scotia for the next two weeks (February '07). I'd like to take a 3-day weekend to Halifax, but I don't know if the winter season overly limits tourist options and/or the short stay is too prohibitive to do anything worthwhile. Basically, for my first trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia, is a 3-day weekend in the dead of winter: (a) a ridiculously naive and stupid idea; or (b) an original get-away that will be an eye opening experience for a Yankee city boy. There's also a chance that my friend might not come with me, so what is a frank assessment of night/evening life (not clubs, but pubs, bars and restaurants) on a scale of 1 to 10 (Tajikistan being a 2 and London being a 9)? Is renting a car necessary and is it easily feasible? As you can see, I don't have much of a plan, so I'd appreciate any comments on the above and/or any other suggestions you may have. Thanks.

Halifax Titanic Historical Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Halifax Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
Toronto
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

Last year, while I was living in Halifax, my friends and I started talking to a young lady who was enjoying the traditional Irish Music (and a pint!) at the Old Triangle Pub...turns out she was a ballet dancer from NYC who had taken a 'spur of the moment' weekend jaunt to Halifax!

She told us she was having a great time - so, I am sure you would enjoy yourself. The weather is the only "unknown", as this time of year anything can happen! I'm sure some of the local experts have some info on what is going on in town over the next few weeks, but I say - 'go for it!' Have fun. You will love the people there.

Chester Basin...
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

Hi CrashTraveler"

b) for sure. A very original getaway.

A frank assesssment of night/ evening life -- 8.5 to a 9

Halifax is known right back to it's original roots as a "party town"

Pubs of all kinds are abundant in the downtown and at quite a few you will feel like you are in the 1800 era. Halifax is a very old city with tons of history and small and condensed making getting around on foot very easy.

Restaurant Choices -- 8.5 to a 9

So many it's really your choice. We would be glad to recommend both restaurants and pubs for you if you like.

Renting a car would not be necessary for a weekend in Halifax. Actually I think it would be more a "hassle" then anything.

Regardless of the time of year,Halifax is busy downtown on the weekends. That due to it's popularity and the presense of many universities in the area. You'll have a great time.

Have a look at destinationhalifax.com .

Good selection of hotels also.

I think I would come. it's as close to Europe that you'll get for that price.

Let us know if we can help you further.

regards,

blondie*

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

Do come. It's been unusually cold for the last 2 weeks, but there's no snow and it should warm up by next weekend. The pub scene is great here and the restaurants are pretty good too. To see what's going on, have a look at:

http://www.thecoast.ns.ca/1homebody.lasso

This website is updated every Fri.

Everything's open in Halifax in the winter, you won't need a car (I don't even own one), and you'll have a great time.

Cape Breton Island...
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

I also say GO FOR IT!!! Sometimes the best vacations are the ones not planned. Do still be careful and have fun. Maybe Bedlace or Blondie could let you know if the big pub crawl is around that time. They are trying to set a world record for the largest pub crawl in Halifax sometime very soon. Lots of transportation there if need be. Taxi, ferry and bus services. Everything is right downtown.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
814 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

I, an ex-NYer came to Nova Scotia for the first time for New Year's five years ago, and liked it so much I moved here!!

That being said, and knowing exactly where you're coming from as far as things to see and do in a city, I would give Halifax a 5. There's certainly enough to keep you entertained for a weekend. If you do decide to stay just in the city, a car is not necessary. But if the weather is good with no precipitation forecasted, I would highly recommend you rent a car for the day and get out and explore some of our amazing beaches and small towns. Although you'll find a lot of shops and restaurants closed for the season, the local pub in town is usually always open with a fire blazing and some colorful local folks to entertain you.

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

Thanks for mentioning the pub crawl, proudcaper. I'd forgotten about it. It will be held on Feb. 9 and the tickets sold out within days. So it might be a good thing to avoid the pubs that night. More information about it can be found here:

http://www.worldslargestpubcrawl.com/main.php

7. Re: Short Halifax winter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Halifax