We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cottage rental

Alberta
3 posts
Save Topic
cottage rental

Hi all

My family and I are traveling to Nova Scotia to visit family and show our kids where Daddy grew up. We are hopeing to rent a cottage in the pictou/new glasgow area for a week and then travel to the clam harbour area for a few days. I am wondering if anybody knows of any reasonably priced, clean 2-3 bedroom cottages with an ocean view for rent iin either of these areas. We can definately provide references and I would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks Cyndi

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cottage rental

There are many web sites which list private cottages for rent. Do a google search using key words such as private cottage rental pictou beach, etc.

You could also check out kijiji

Maybe someone who lives near there can make a more specific recomendation.

New Minas, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cottage rental

Hi Cyndi,

Perhaps the following website might be some help to you.

www.cottagelink.com

Also, did you check under accommodations on the tourism website.

www.novascotia.com

Fundygirl

Sydney
Level Contributor
881 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cottage rental

Cyndi,

When renting a cottage or any kind of accommodation in Nova Scotia for any periods less than a month (ie on a daily or weekly basis), you should be aware that their are two categories of properties - those that are legally licenced and therefore inspected by the Province, and those that are operating illegally contrary to the Tourist Accommodations Act. While those that aren't licenced and inspected MAY be fine properties, there is no guarantee and several guests have been burned. Illegal properties may not meet fire and safety code, you have no idea of the safety of their water supply, etc. If you do book an illegal, unlicenced property it is clearly "buyer beware" and if anything is not to your stisfaction you have no recourse. The ONLY tourist accommodations that are licenced, inspected and operating legally are those listed on the official Nova Scotia website at www.novascotia.com

Don't get me wrong, some of the illegal properties offer excellent accommodation, just be aware of what you are getting.

Have a great holiday in Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
49 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cottage rental

Hi Cyndi,

What type of cottage are you looking for? Do you want to rent from a private owner or are you interested in renting a cottage that might offer more services (housekeeping, pool, etc). If you are looking to rent from a private owner, I am afraid I can't be of much help, but check out the websites others have mentioned.

Pictou Lodge is one option. It right on the water, has a private beach, a pool, restaurant and a variety of accomodations. Their website is www.pictoulodge.com.

Harbourside Cottages (www.harboursidecottages.com) would be another option. While there isn't a beach on site, there is a water view of a harbour. Melmerby Beach is about a 5 minute drive away. There is a pool there and the cottages are mostly 2 bedroom, all with kitchens.

Stonehame Chalets is a beautiful spot (www.stonehamechalets.com) with a great view. Though these cottages are not waterfront (Stonehame is on a mountain in Scotsburn, outside Pictou). They have 1-3 bedroom cottages with kitchens, a pool, and hiking trails. You would have a further drive to the beach (Caribou Beach would be closest).

There are other places along the Sunrise Trail you might want to look into as well, you can go to www.novascotia.com and search for cottages/cabins along the Northumberland shore for a full listing.

Hope that helps!

Alberta
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cottage rental

Thank you all for your help.

Cyndi

6. Re: cottage rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Pictou