We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Pictou

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental in Pictou

Hello. We'd like to rent a car for a day when we disembark our cruise ship in Pictou next month, rather than taking a ship's excursion (we like being independent!). I can find plenty of car rental offices in New Glasgow but none in Pictou. Are there any?

If not, is there a quick, easy way to get to New Glasgow by public transport?

7 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Pictou

This is the first time I have heard of a cruise ship stopping in Pictou! Could you tell me what ship this is?

I cannot find any car rental companies in Pictou either.

Enterprise advertises that they will pick you up. Try contacting their New Glasgow branch and see what they can do for you.

Also contact the town of Pictou and see if they can help:

http://www.townofpictou.ca/

Here is a taxi company: Alf's Taxi

93 Denoon, Pictou, NS B0K 1H0 902-485-5025

Here is a shuttle service:

http://www.all4ushuttle.com/

I also found this:

Jenkins Pilot & Taxi Service

902-485-8522

17 Victoria Pictou NS at this site: http://www.goldbook.ca/pictou-ns/taxis/

Wikipedia says there are water taxis to New Glasgow but they give no reference. However this site gives some details. virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Cana…

If you go to the Roll Call for your cruise on cruisecritic.com you might be able to find others wanting to do what you are and you could share in taxi or shuttle costs.

Of course you could spend a pleasant day in Pictou itself.

Where were you thinking of going? I live just an hour away from Pictou so know a bit about the area.

Edited: 08 August 2012, 15:49
Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Pictou

You must be on the Maiden voyage for Saga? Pictou is very close to New Glasgow I'm sure if you email one or two of the larger companies ie Enterprise, Avis they would pick you up at the ship.

You could also email the development commision here's the link contact is top right. There is alot of good info for visitors.

I am sure there are others on your cruise who also might want to rent a car.

http://www.pictourda.ca/

Hope this helps.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Pictou

What terrific replies. And fast! Thank you so much for all the information and ideas.

Yes, Lulu, we're on the Quest for Adventure, a small ship (just 446 passengers), landing by tender at Pier C, Pictou Marine Terminal, on 14th September. Not quite its maiden voyage - that was in June, I believe. Details here, if you're interested:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/crcl234

We often rent cars rather than joining ship's excursions but few others want to do so. I think many get nervous about driving abroad. Or maybe they've just heard about my driving. We'll see if we meet anyone on board we get on with, rather than use cruisecritic. That worked for us in December when we finished up sharing cars for trips to places like Olympia, Mycenae and Ephesus. By renting cars, we were able to be flexible about timings and stop at other places en route.

Mary Ann...the ship excursions on offer are:

1. A 2-hour guided walk of Pictou

2. Museum of Industry

3. Jost Vineyards

I'd value your views on those and any other ideas you might have. If the weather's ok, we'd rather be on our feet away from the crowd doing something outside such as a good walk, a garden visit, wildlife; then some time in Pictou to finish the day. We love to find something that isn't in Lonely Planet! It's only a short stop though, arrive at 8 and depart at 2. Maybe there's enough in Pictou and the immediate surroundings to keep us occupied for 5 hours?

You're in Halifax? We have 4 days there with a car for the last 3 before flying home and my next task is to decide how to use those days. There won't be enough time, from what I've read!

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Pictou

The cruise looks to be great interesting just hope you have good weather.

Re Car Rental by the time you get it and allow time for return etc it's only going to be 5 to 6 hours??

If you are interested in wine then Jost tour might be okay, I agree about the others as an expat I hate that herding!!!

Pictou has alot of history and is quaint spot the link I sent this morning had most sights on it. and more than enough history etc so I would do my own guided walk. As Brits I don't think the museum would intetrest you.

There are many areas for walking Bayside would be good stroll.

There used to be some nice restaurants you could have lunch or coffee and bun etc.

I haven't been to Pictou in a long time so hopefully somone else will chip in who is more upto date.

Hope this helps somewhat. I'll do better when you ask re Halifax !!!lol

Edited: 08 August 2012, 21:03
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Pictou

Hi again.

What a wonderful cruise itinerary. I loved Reykjavik and L'anse aux Meadows.

I don't live in Halifax, but Trip Advisor does not let me be either more or less specific. I live in Pugwash, down the shore to the west of Pictou. With the short time you have you could easily stick to Pictou. The Hector Museum there with its replical of the ship which brought the first Scottish settlers is interesting. There are some good shops and restaurants.

www.townofpictou.ca/hector_heritage_quay.html

Jost winery is very close to me. They make some very good wines, especially the whites. Check out the Tidal Bay, Eagle Tree Muscat and L'Acadie Blanc. Tasings are free.

If you do go there in a rental car that would be fine, and you could also check out Tatamagouche, and maybe Pugwash. The drive along the shore would be interesting for you.

http://goo.gl/maps/IX022

http://tatamagouchetoday.com/

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Pictou

Hi Dave

This will be one of the very first cruise ship stops in Pictou... we have no rental cars or public transportation... taxi is available (expensive) Some of the shops will be closed for the season... The Hectar Heritage Quay is open, Grohman knives and a few gift shops within walking distance... this will be finished with 2 hours

We have a good bakery, tea room (which may be closed) and several other cafe's

Beautiful Beaches are a ten minute drive out of town (the fall colors will be beautiful)

Out of the 3 mentioned I would recommend the Jost Wine Tour... you will get the bonus of a nice fall drive :)

www.jostwine.com/default.asp?mn=1.24.41

Just let me know if you have any more questions... would be happy to answer for you :)

Pictou, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Pictou

Hello,

New Glasgow is the closest location for Automobile rentals.. The rental company may offer pick up and drop off services!

Reply to: Car rental in Pictou
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pictou