We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alert

toronto
7 posts
Save Topic
Alert

Is there any way for civillians to get to Alert? I want to visit some1 up there but so far i cannot find much on how it is possible (or if) to fly/drive/dog sled there

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alert

Who is up there you want to visit?? I'm sure that you can get there by driving or even dog sled?

toronto
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alert

my brother is part of the military base there. he's staying for the summer. i know he got up there on a military aircraft ...however thats out of teh picture for me since im a civillian

Iqaluit
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Alert

Unfortunately, there would not be an opportunity to travel to Alert unless you were able to fly with the military plane or charter an aircraft. There is only a military base there and no permanent inhabitants. The furthest northern point you could travel to by plane in Nunavut would be Grise Fiord.

Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Alert

According to the 2001 census there were 5 permanent inhabitants there. I'm going up this December as a civilian for a few days - Looking forward to it but it's through a contract with the Forces. The only way to get there is by military plane as the airport is run by the Canadian forces. In the summer months i believe there is a cargo ship that delivers supplies. Not an easy place to get to.

Ottawa
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alert

That's actually true. It even says so on the site that there's actually on 5 permanent inhabitants in Alert, Nunavut. But what do they do there besides working at the military bases. Like you kno, what do they do for spare time ?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,124 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alert

Original post is from 2006...no need to reply !

Ottawa
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alert

Geez I just want to kno

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,124 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alert

CP4AP

It would have been better to post your own question by starting your own topic so as not to confuse the replies to princess.lauren.

I posted my comment about the post being old so that others will not waste their time and efforts trying to assist the original poster, princess.lauren.

Best Regards

9. Re: Alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 December 2008, 05:18
10. Re: Alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Nunavut