We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Rocheport, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Since I'm paying $1,239 just to get there, I'd like to stay overnight. Any ideas on how to get a place just to lay a sleeping bag? I can't afford $225 a night. Anyone know someone with a couch? Thanks. Liz

15 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

not much competition, only two places.....have you tried posting on craigslist or anything like that?

explorenunavut.com/kugluktuk-accommodation.p…

Rocheport, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Thanks TD. I've got a post going on couchsurfing. They list one host there. Craigslist is a good idea, too. Liz

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

There is a website called couchsurfing? lol. Wow, that's awesome!

Edited: 29 January 2013, 05:53
Rocheport, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Yes. You join. Pay a nominal fee for a cursory background check and can participate as a host or someone who needs a place to stay. You can also put out a call for getting together, going to some site or event, etc. Some locations have regular get together meetings. Check it out. Liz

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Thanks Liz. Do you ever worry about creeps. It's kind of like hitch-hiking isn't it? You don't know if the person getting in might do you harm.

Rocheport, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Yes. I've considered this. I actually joined out of desperation in trying to find a place to stay in Bismarck, ND. (The Motel 6 is $79!) Alas, there is no one in that city. I'm actually staying in a Kabin at KOA, and it's $50. As a single woman, I'd want to have a conversation with my host beforehand. I probably won't do CSing unless I'm pretty desperate. I've had good luck with hostels in U.S., Canada and Turkey. Best. Liz

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Curious if you fond anything as an alternative to the two hotels in Kugluktuk? The Enokhok wants $450/night for my wife and I in one of their rooms! :(

Rocheport, Missouri
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

Wow, Peter. The E must have done some great renovating a few years ago. I did find a private home to stay in, but never got in because of weather problems. Be aware that weather delays are an on-going problem that far north in Canada because of strict ceilings for the airlines. Canadian North, however, will automatically assign you to the next flight until you ask them to stop. If you don't mind sending me your e-mail address in a reply to this, I will send you my contact''s e-mail address.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

TJfan - you can send Peter a personal message, rather than asking him to leave his email here on a public forum. Simply click on his name, and his profile page will come up - scroll down the right hand side to send a personal message.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk

$450 a night!? No wonder tourism must be tough to find...

Reply to: A Place to Sleep in Kugluktuk
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nunavut