We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manitoulind Island Cottage

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Manitoulind Island Cottage

Hello,

Last year we stayed at Mindemoya Court cottages in Manitoulin Island and we really enjoyed the Island. We've decided to go back to the Island this summer, but to try a different cottage/resort.

Are there any suggestions for lodging in Manitoulin Island? We would like a cottage, cabin, chalet or resort, but NOT a B&B or hotel room.

We are a couple in our early 30's and are looking for a clean quiet place in the $500 and under per week price range.

Any suggestions?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

We've stayed at Mountain View Resort for years and enjoyed it.

1-800-578-5713

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

Thank you Canprof.

What did you like about the resort?

Ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

Pirates Cove is on the same lake, but directly adjaceant to the golf course. Nice cottages, well-maintained.

Cedar Grove is just at the bottom of the hill from Mindemoya Court, and offers an entire bay of sand, including the beaches.

If you want to try camping, there is a nice camp ground over in Providence Bay, which has an amazing, Florida-type beach right in front of it. Sorry, but the name of the camp ground escapes me.

Hope this helps !

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

Nancy, glad to give more info. It is of course a matter of personal preference. For my partner and I what we especially like is that, unlike some of the other resorts, there are no planned activities or extensive playgrounds and so forth. So if you want to relax and if you are not exchanted by the sound of screaming kids this is the place. You can rent a small boat or canoe there if you want though. The cottages are fully equiped (4 piece bathroom; range + microwave in the kitchen area). There are two small rows of cottages (about five along the water and about 3 back from that row). If you get one of the cottages right on the water you can walk down across the length of a back lawn, i.e. a few steps, and get into the water. It is natural shoreline not a beach but the resort has a small beach which is about a 2 or 3 minute walk away. Most people with children take them there to go swimming so it is especially quite and relatively private to go swimming right from your cottage. The owners are two genial Ohians who bought it from the long-time owners a few years ago. They are maybe a bit over their head but they know their business in the sense that he is a jack-of-all-trades who can repair anything and she worked in hotel housekeeping. They are certainly eager to please. The location is about a 12 minute drive over decent roads to the town of Mindemoya. You are facing west so you get great sunsets.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

CanProf, thank you so much for your detailed response. That is very helpful. I spoke to the lady, Peggi, earlier this week and got more details about the resort. We also like that it's close to Mindemoya.

AJH, thanks for your suggestions. I will research these further.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

Great, what week(s) are you going up, we might see you. We're there end of July start of August

Level Contributor
305 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

Unfortunately we'll be going at a different time than you. But thank you for all your helpful advice. We can't wait to go!

8. Re: Manitoulind Island Cottage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 11:22