We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

Glasgow
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

I will be attending a family wedding in Thunder Bay in early August, along with my wife and two sons aged 20 yrs and 13 yrs, picking up a hire car in Toronto. We will be driving to Thunder Bay over 2-3 days, then spending a few days in Manitouwadge, before making our way back towards Toronto. We will have almost 2 weeks to tour around Ontario, I would be grateful for any suggestions about what not to miss on such a trip and some sort of itinary which is easy to manage. I would also be grateful for any recommendations in relation to decent accommodations on the way.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

A couple of things.

You have a couple of choices of how to travel between Toronto and Sault Ste. Marie. You might want to do one of them going up and one going back. One choice is around Georgian Bay, perhaps stopping in Parry Sound for the 30,000 Islands Boat Cruise and/or Sudbury for the Science North science centre. The other is to go up the Bruce peninsula to Tobermory and take the big car ferry over to Manitoulin Island, drive through the Island perhaps detouring on to the big First Nations ("Indian") reserve at Wikwemikong.

Then in Sault Ste. Marie itself you might want to take the Agawa Canyon train trip and certainly in Thunder Bay Old Fort William with its fur trade heritage is good for a visit.

Have a great time.

2. Re: Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2008, 11:08
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

You could also travel one way either through Michigan from Sault Ste Marie, or through Minnesota through Duluth.

I've never been further west in Ontario than the Sault, so can't advise on the roads etc. but I suspect you'll be driving through endless miles of bush on both sides of the road. I know I find the drive from Sudbury to the Sault very monotonous.

Due to the huge distances over mostly 2 lane highways, two weeks really isn't a lot of time.

I agree that the area around Parry Sound is really beautiful. The ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin is fun.

Except for in the larger towns/cities, of which once you are a ways north there really isn't many (Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste Marie), most of the accommodation you'll be finding will me small independent motels. Perhaps if you asked in the forums for the larger centres you'll be passing through people may be able to help you with accomodation. Your family whose wedding you are attending may also be a resource, because I assume they have probably made this trip several times.

4. Re: Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2008, 23:50
5. Re: Trip to Toronto and Thunder Bay in August

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 06:27