We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Ireland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Hi, I am travelling to Canada and the US this summer, I will first be visiting Toronto then after that Boston. I plan to bet a bus from Toronto to Buffalo airport then fly to Boston. Do I requre any forms or anything for crossing the border from Toronto to Buffalo?

Thanks.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

These sort of questions should be directed to the proper authorities. Too important to rely on answers here.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Hi;

You will need your passport to enter Canada & the US.

As a citizen of Ireland, upon entering the US, you will be required to obtain an I-94W visa waiver, as an addition to your passport. To obtain the waiver, you will be photographed, fingerprinted, and pay a fee of $6 US.

The I-94W visa waiver will be attached to your passport, and must be surrendered when you leave the United States.

Best Regards

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Hi Rescue..do you know if the Greyhound Bus is required to wait for the guy to get the visa etc, or will it depart without him if the process is taking too long, leaving him to get a taxi to the airport. If this is a possibility, perhaps and alternate method of getting from Toronto to Buffalo should be suggested, such as an 'airbus' transfer, where they do wait for anyone caught up in this ridiculous process which is netting $$$$ and falsely giving the American public the idea that they are safe from terrorists.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,724 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Hi Trptld;

The Greyhound schedule shows a total of 1½ hours to get from Niagara Falls Ontario to Buffalo New York. Since the drive is only about ½ an hour, the remaining time (1 hr) would be to process a bus load of people through US Customs.

I’ve been told that the process to obtain the I-94W waiver takes approx. ½ hour.

That said, I think you bring up a very good point. Just how long will the bus wait if one passenger is delayed at Customs ?

That is an answer that I don’t have.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

One would hope that US Customs is used to handling a few people needing I-94Ws on each bus and manage to process them at the same time as everyone else. Of course, anyone can find themselves held at customs for a variety of reasons. My guess is that Greyhound's cutoff is when everyone else is ready to go, and at that point they'd tell the delayed person to catch the next bus through.

I think this is a question where you'd be best off calling the local Greyhound office (905-357-2133). This will be something they deal with all the time, and they should be able to give a more informed answer.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

You would think they are used to it, yes.

The last time we crossed over with someone needing an I-94 (August/07), it took 2 hours, 45 minutes. That was the time from after we were sent to the secondary inspection area, to the time we left. No funny passports here or anything, this was a New Zealand citizen and we were heading down to do some shopping. On the way back into Canada, they didn't even ask to see our passports...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Ozcanuck, just curious: were they actively working on the "file" most of that time? Or was it a question of the file sitting in a queue for 2 1/2 hours before an officer actually got around to looking at it?

Ireland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

Hello everyone, thanks for all yor help, i will check with the bus companies on what their policies are.

Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

It was all to do with the queue. And it seemed incredibly disorganized. When we were finally called into the photo/fingerprint room, it only took about 5 minutes. Just asked where we were staying, how long we'd be there, and then we were on our way.

10. Re: Irish passport holder travelling from Canada to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:26