We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Huntsville
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

I'm a woman needing a few days on my own & would appreciate any advice about which Ontario resorts would be suitable for this kind of thing. I just want some peace & quiet & to feel safe. I guess it sounds like a 'women's retreat' may be applicable here...but I really don't want to be anywhere where there is any kind of obligatory agenda required. Whatever advice/thoughts/recommendations anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, CdnLady

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Hi CdnLady,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

Well there are certainly a lot of places in Ontario that would fit your need.... and infact many of them in the Huntsville area (see that is your TA LOCATOR).

Which of course sparks the next Question... Have you looked around your own neck of the woods?

And if YES, why did they not fit your requirements?

Are you willing to travel to other areas of the Province? If so how far... and by which means (Car, Bus, Train, etc). The more info that you give us about what exactly it is you are looking for (and what you want to do while there... ie Spa, Exercise, Long Walks, Read, Shop, Eat & Drink well, etc), the more we'll be able to advise you of possibilities that might fit your needs.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Hi, CdnLady;

Can you let us know how close to home you feel you want to be? Would you consider a B&B or is that too much personal contact? Is the city a reasonable escape, or do you seek more peace & quiet?

We remember past newspaper articles about convents & monasteries in Mississauga & Guelph that welcomed short term visitors who sought refuge with little or no interpersonal contact & no agenda, yet when we try to locate them, they all seem to have disappeared.

If you can give us a little more info maybe we can provide some ideas.

B&J

Huntsville
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Of course I can see where I've been pretty vague.

Huntsville has many lovely spots to 'lay low and think about things'. However, the point for me is I am seeking to be out of town (think 'small town' Can't do a whole lot without knowing somebody & all the speculation). Otherwise, I would absolutely recommend my town for a getaway.

I'm thinking about a place where I could have my meals provided if desired. Long walks sound good. And just sitting...reading... And ideally it would be somewhere I could drive to.

The city & all it's shopping & theatre are wonderful...just not what I'm seeking (needing) right now.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly...and asking those questions that I can see are helpful.

Cdnlady

Huntsville
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Hi B&J

As you can see from my reply above....I can see where I've been pretty vague & I appreciate you asking the questions that would be helpful.

I am seeking peace & quiet. Somewhere out of town (nothing wrong with this wonderful area where I live....I just need to be out of it for a few days to simply...be quiet & think)

I think a B&B might be a little too much of a 'personal contact' facility. I really just need somewhere where perhaps meals are provided & I can take long walks...read....be quiet...just recoup. And I am not adverse to other people being around. Total isolation is not really what I'm looking for either.

And I would prefer somewhere I can drive to. Doesn't have to be that close to home at all.

I've googled as well as searched this site for similar requests...but can't seem to find anything that seems to fit such a need. Tho' I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of us that simply need a few days to 'step off this merry-go-round' for awhile.

Thanks for your thoughts & prompt response.

Cdnlady

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

How about the Millcroft Inn, near Caledon? Far enough from your neck of the woods, but not too far out of the way. Big enough to offer privacy, but not a huge resort with lots of activity. Places to walk, good meals, and a spa if you want it.

www.vintage-hotels.com/millcroft/default.htm

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

The Millcroft Inn is a great idea. It's a member of the "Ontario's Finest Inns" organization- here's a link to their website:

ontariosfinestinns.com/ontario_travel_guide.…

There are several listings in Prince Edward County, which would also be a nice location.

Good Luck!

B&J

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Hi CdnLady,

I agree with the other posters... The Millcroft would be a good choice.

And like BRUCE-AND-JOHN I also thought of Prince Edward County... my first choices there would be either the Claramount or the Waring House.

They are sister properties so you could get some variation as to where you ate. Both have nice grounds, good restaurants and the Claramount has a nice spa.

Picton is a cute enough town... a few stores, coffee shops, lunch places (real lunch places with homemade soup and sandwiches). Take long walks... maybe thru Sandbanks Provincial Park... on the beach, or between the dunes. Antiquing in Bloomfield. Or enjoy some foodie shopping delights - Barley Days Brewery - various PE County Wineries - local Cider - Maple Syrup - Cheese (Fifth Town or Black River) - Jams & Jellies (Pat's Jams) - not to mention meats, veggies, eggs, etc. Bring a cooler to take home all your purchases!

In the mood for a fabulous Sunday Brunch - then it's Amelia's Garden (Waring House). Entertainment... you'll find it weekend at the Barley Room Pub (also Waring House) or maybe a Cooking Class suits your fancy (Waring House).

And beyond all this... you could just sit and look at the sky and the water... or take a drive around "the County"... Quinte Isle is magical anytime of year very peaceful.

And lastly... you could just sleep in... Both Inns have amazing beds and linens... you'll sleep peacefully.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Huntsville
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

Thank you all for your time & thoughts.... I will investigate all your suggestions and let you know how I make out.

You've all been very kind.

again...thanks...

St Thomas
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

You can check out Sunnybrook Farm - it is a holiday home near St Thomas, Ontario, its peaceful and quiet, self-catering - there is more info here on the holiday home and on the general area of Southern Ontario.

http://www.discover-southern-ontario.com

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for a resort to be alone for a few days

deltahotels.com/en/…

If you can afford it...I highly recommend the Sherwood Inn at Port Carling. It's heaven :)