We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

My husband and I are in our late 50s and love drop your jaw gorgeous sites. He isn't too much of a hiker but can do the less strenuous hikes of up to three miles round trip. May I have suggestions of such hikes, along with scenic driving routes?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,967 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

Hi Charlene51;

Are you asking about scenic drives to / from Algonquin Provincial Park, or within the park itself ?

Without knowing where you are comming from or heading to, it's difficult to make any suggestions.

If you are asking about drives within the park, there are few roads, so your choice is limited.

FYI...There is an Algonquin Provincial Park forum, which you might wish to have a look at.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g319818-i11041-Algo…

Best Regards

Edited: 06 April 2010, 04:49
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

Hi Charlene51,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUMS.

There is only one main road thru Algonquin Park (Hwy 60). It is scenic no matter what time you visit... but I would say more so during the Fall when the leaves are changing (when exactly are you coming?)

Besides the hiking you'll want to make a stop at the Visitors Centre as well... great interpretive centre as well as a great lookout.

Most trips, I'd say 3/5 times thru the Park we see a moose... so keep your camera handy.

You'll find lots of info about the park on the TA Pages and related TRAVEL FORUM for ALGONQUIN PARK as well on their official website = www.algonquinpark.on.ca

If you intend to spend anytime hiking, be sure and familarize yourself with the info on Wildlife Sightings and Interaction (particularly Black Bears).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

Rescue Team and Wine,

I am sorry that I didn't give more needed info. I was only asking about scenic drives within the park but it is a good idea that I give my starting point and final destination. Thanks for the heads up, Rescue Team. We will be starting out from Sault Ste. Marie and as we leave Algonquin will be heading for the Stowe, Vt area. Therefore, any ideas of other scenic drives would be well appreciated.

I am only on page 10 of the previous posting, so I have a lot more fun reading ahead. I have read that the visitor's center is a must. So thanks, Wine we won't miss it.

In addition within the park, may I suggestions of less strenuous hikes with beautiful views and/or waterfalls? Thanks for all of the sincere words of wisdom and keep traveling! :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

Hi Charlene51,

You are very welcome... as I am quite confused now (lol, it happens when one replies to soooo many Travellers) guessing, that you've printed off some of the past topics... so would you be so kind to send me by PM (Personal Message) a quick note telling me which of your previous topics that I've replied in (links would be great, but even just the FORUM and topic name will suffice... I can find the list then on your PROFILE Page).

No sense repeating something I've already said... want to make sure you get the most out of the experience as well.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Algonquin Drop Your Jaw Sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 06:22