We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto and Algonquin Park

Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto and Algonquin Park

Hi,

In July I will be spending 4 - 5 days in the Toronto area.

It has been suggested that I spend 1 day in Toronto and then go to Algonquin Park.

I will have already been to Niagra Falls.

I don't know anything about Algonquin Park.

Is this a good option for the time I have available?

Prior to this I will be in Nerw Mexico.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

"Is this a good option for the time I have available?"

Hi Mally123;

Without knowing you and your interests, that's a hard question to answer.

In Toronto, Canada's largest city and 4th largest in North America, you could easily spend a week and still have pleanty of things to see and do.

Algonquin Provincial Park is the exact oposite to a big city. It is approx. 7630 sq km / 2945 sq mi, of unspoiled wilderness. If you would prefer camping, hiking etc, yes, you should visit Algonquin Provincial Park.

FYI...it is approx. 160 miles / 256 km north of Toronto, about a 3 hour drive by car.

For more info about the park;

www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g319818-Algonquin_Par…

For any additional questions about the park, I would suggest posting them on the Algonquin Provincial Park forum, where you are most likely to receive qualified replies;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g319818-i11041-Algo…

Best Regards

Edited: 20 June 2010, 14:58
Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Hi,

Thankyou for your reply.

I'm more interested in the wilderness than cities so I guess that is why it was suggested I spend 1 day in Toronto and then go to the Park.

I will check out the links you mention.

Thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

You're Welcome !

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Algonquin is a large wilderness area which I believe is best seen by hiking, or better yet a 2-3 days trip by canoe. If you are not experienced then it is best to go with an organized group, there are LOTS of complete rental companies (Algonquin outfitters on Hwy 60). This allows you to get away form people, sleep in a tent, have a campfire, hear the loons at night, all are a unique wonderful experience. If that is of interest I can give more information.

Similarily there is a smaller park called Kilarney Provincial Park.

Have fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Thankyou for your information.

I will check out the other park as well.

We may go on an organized trip. We only have about 3 - 4 days.

Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Hi there

Me and some friends are wanting to go camping in algonquin but we have no real camping experience or canoe experience so we were thinking of going on a 3 day guided trip. Do you have any information or recommendations for the different guided trips? We are aged between 20-30 yrs old!

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

TO LEEDSGIRL24,

Welcome to the ALGONQUIN PARK TRAVEL FORUM.

I see you are fairly new to TripAdvisor, so here is a useful TA TIP to get the most out of your Membership and the TRAVEL FORUMS.

It is considered proper TA FORUM Netiquette not to "tag on" on to another's post... but rather to post a NEW Topic for a NEW Question. First off this means that more readers will see your Question and you will most likely receive a variety of qualified replies (many times Advisors will not click back into an Older Topic that they have already given an answer to)...

To ADD a NEW Topic to the FORUM just click on the orange ADD A NEW TOPIC button at the top of the page that lists the Topics for the TRAVEL FORUM.

As well, the replies to your Question and that posed by the Original Poster (OP) won't become confused... and also the OP will not receive emails from TA telling them to check "their" topic... as they have been receiving replies.

It is the considerate thing to do.

We look forward to giving personal attention to your Travel Planning Questions.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Good idea to use an outfitter. I have no personal experience to help you except Algonquin Outfitters has had positive reviews from a few people I have talked too. Good to rent gear and have someone who can show you how to find your way the first time.

Have fun!!

Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Hi,

I returned home a week ago and just wanted to comment on our experiences in Toronto.

We had planned to go to Algonquin Park but when we arrived in Toronto from USA our luggage hadn't arrived. It took 3 days to get our luggage and so we decided to stay in Toronto and wait for it.

We had a great time in Toronto....negotiating the subway and exploring the city.

We found everyone we came in contact with very open and friendly.

We'll have to return to Canada one day and explore the countryside.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
1,200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto and Algonquin Park

Too bad about the luggage, which airline? Glad you had fun in Toronto, try to come back sometime!