We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls around August 9th--will stay there 2-3 nights & plan to do all the fun touristy things with our 8 & 5 year olds. After we leave the hustle & bustle of that area we would like to find a nice area to spend about 4 nights & just relax & reconnect as a family. We will be crossing over the border by Sarnia so pretty much anything in the Southwestern part of Ontario is a go.

We love the water & would love to stay by a lake--Niagara on the Lake looks gorgeous but I figure it isn't really an area for kids. I was also looking at the Muskoka area which looks like a good possibility but if there is something with less of a drive for us it would be even better. I have been spending endless time doing searches on Tripadvisor but it is impossible to search every little town. So, I am putting it out there for the locals to help me. Any help pointing me in the right direction to start searching is greatly appreciated!

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

Dear Fellow Michigander: Look into the Muskoka area of Ontario which includes the cities of Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville. There is no shortage of lakes and cottages in this area which is generally 70 to 120 miles North of Toronto. Additionally look into Algonquin Park which is 50 miles further Noth of Toronto which includes the same as well as family camping opportunities.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

Hi Kanga85,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

A couple of areas came to mind when I read your post... and the need for some down time...

Like THORNTREE both Algonquin Park and the Muskokas came to mind, they are decidedly different, so a lot would depend on what your vision was.

The third spot was Wasaga Beach on Georgian Bay.

As I said all of these are quite different. Here are some websites to aid you in your research…

Algonquin Park = www.algonquinpark.on.ca

Muskoka Tourism = www.discovermuskoka.ca

Wasaga Beach Tourism = www.wasagabeach.com

As well all 3 have TA TRAVEL PAGES and respective TRAVEL FORUMS.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Royal Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

There is no person with more knowledge about Ontario then Wine-4-2 so give her a good idea of your specific parameters.and she will be able to help you. If you do decide on Algonquin Park I can chime back in with a few more suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

Here are a few more ideas; If you are driving down the QEW from Niagara your kids might want to check out Lock 3 in St Catharines. There's a small museum/picnic area/cafe where you can view the large freighters that go through the Lock system. It's not far off the highway. Check out their website for freighter times. Nearby Port Dalhousie also has a beach and things to do (even a large historical merry-go-round).

Just off the QEW in Hamilton there's a lovely area for relaxing/eating diner style food/ice cream/trail while viewing Lake Ontario called Van Wagners Beach. There's a splashpad/pool, go karts, mini putt and Wild Waterworks (waterpark with wave pool, tube slides, etc.) all along this road.

Hamilton has over 40 waterfalls around it and the prettiest one is called Webster's Falls outside the town of Dundas. A much smaller version of Niagara but you can walk to the bottom of it and get wet if you wish standing on the rocks! 20 mins. from there if you are into animals there's a Safari Park called African Lion Safari which you kids would love (splash park inside too). It's address is Cambridge, Ont. The 401 highway runs through here and you could cut across this town to Lake Huron if you wish or continue down the 401 towards London. They have a great Children's museum there, Double decker city bus tours, etc.

Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful input--I have to say it's pointed me in some new directions to investigate!

Algonquin looks beautiful but I think it would be pushing it on the drive time back to MI with two antsy boys! I love the Muskoka area so I plan to do some more checking into an place to stay/things to do there. I had never heard of Wasaga Beach but instantly fell in love with the area when I saw the pictures--reminds me a lot of South Haven, MI which is one of our favorite destinations in Michigan, so that will be added to the list. Also, thanks 2BoysHockeyMom for all your perfect ideas in the Hamilton area--you hit our interests spot on. We will definitely be making a stop there. So far there haven't been any hotels jumping out a me in that area but I'll keep checking.

Thanks again for taking the time to post--I really appreciate it & look forward to our trip!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

I'm glad I could help. I've never been to Wasaga but I've heard it's more for the younger crowd and Sauble Beach is more for the family crowd.

I forgot to mention not far from Cambridge is Chicopee Tube Park (Kitchener,Ont) which offer zip lining and tubing down a ski hill during the summer. We've been there for tubing in the winter and it's great fun!

I hope to get to Michigan again myself one day as I love the area. Have a good holiday.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

If you plan to cross over by Sarnia, then the area from Sauble Beach down to Grand Bend would be perfect and not involve a lot of driving with children the age of yours.

We stayed in cabins in Bayfield, and Oliphant (north of Sauble) when our kids were young, and had a fabulous time. Grand Bend and Sauble have more kid friendly beaches than Bayfield which is gorgeous, but rocky in spots. It is only a short drive to Grand Bend though.....

http://www.grandbend.com/

http://www.saublebeach.com/

http://www.saublebeachcottagerentals.ca/

http://deerparklodge.com/

At this short notice it might be more difficult to find something in that area (and for less than a week) whereas Muskoka has large family resorts which would have more availability right now.....despite the extra drive time.

Where you stay may be entirely based on where you can find a spot 2 weeks from now.......sorry to say.

Good luck finding a perfect spot!

8. Re: After Niagara Falls--Where to Relax with Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:18