We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

OH
Level Contributor
73 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Hi everyone,

This is a little different. I am trying to find a small town to vacation in (next to lakes) alond the route from Toronto to the Thousand Islands. About a few hours from T.O.

We went somewhere there 15 years ago with my wife but we can"t seem to remember where. It was a small town which has many sand dundes, the hotel (only one in town) is located on a lakeside. The place was very nice, great community and our room even had a jaccuzi next to the bed.

Any help or suggestions similar to this romantic atmosphere would be much appreciated.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Here are listings here for some wonderful inns, many of which we've been to and enjoyed.

ontariosfinestinns.com/ontario_travel_guide.…

All the areas have something unique to offer but this may be the area you're after:

http://www.ontarioinnseast.com/island.html

Hope that helps get you started.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Hello mummum,

The only place I can think of with many sand dunes is Sandbanks Provincial Park. There is a little town near there named Picton with good B&B's. It is just over 2 hours from Toronto. The only place I've stayed in the area was at the Marriott in Belleville so I can't help you remember where you stayed (although there was a Jacuzzi next to the bed there too). The region is very nice with driving tours of art galleries and wineries.

Alternatetively you could look into the Peterborough and Kawartha Lakes Region. My fiance and I just spent our anniversary there and had a great time. We stayed at the Super 8 (which was a 5 minute drive to downtown and the river) which provided us with a 4th floor room with a view over Peterborough and a 2-person Jacuzzi for a very good price. If you wanted something more personal, I would check for B&B's in Lakefield, but we really enjoyed our room.

Good luck with your planning.

I hope you can remember the hotel from before.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

I'd look at a map of Prince Edward County and see what might look familiar to you. With your description of sand dunes it's the only place I can think of.

Perhaps in Wellington? Here's a link to the places in Wellington listed on Tripadvisor tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g499303-Wellington_On… . Here's a link to another place that is also in Wellington, but for some reason appears in the general Ontario listings tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154979-d273281… They seem to have a room with a jacuzzi.

ktown

OH
Level Contributor
73 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Wow, thanks everyone for the great help so far. I will be checking all these out today.

I realy appreciate this.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Glad I could help. I hope you find what you are looking for!

ktown

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

I think the place you stayed was Isaiah Tubbs Resort. It's one of the few resorts that were around in the County 15 years ago. They have jacuzzi suites.

www.isaiahtubbs.com

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Hi mummum;

If it is Isaiah Tubbs Resort, I would suggest reading the reviews that are posted on TA, as well as search the Ontario forums for previous forum posts.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g183797-d185219-…

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Hi Mummum,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

I agree with the others… as a long time fan of this part of Ontario (for over 30 Years) I knew right away that it was Sandbanks and the resort no doubt Isaiah Tubbs Resort which is near to both the villages of Bloomfield and Wellington on Quinte Isle.

“Back in the day” this would have been a great place to visit… unfortunately this Resort in recent years has become quite run-down and a mere shadow of its former self… as RESCUE TEAM has said you might not want to go back there without first reading thru the TA HOTELS REVIEWS Section.

Fortunately, there are some other great places to stay in “The County”… and a couple of them even have personal hot tubs with their accommodations…

One of my favourites would be The Waring House in nearby Picton (west end of Picton, near Bloomfield). Mr Wine and I love it here, and try to visit this Country Inn at least once a year. They have a good variety of accommodations (in the Old Stone House, the House Next Door, the Vineyard Cottage, and the new Quaker & Heritage Lodges). You’ll find the private outdoor hot tubs accompany Rooms # 6, # 12 and the Vineyard Cottage. These are our favourite accommodations when staying at the Waring House.

The Resort also features an excellent Pub (with Weekend Entertainment) and fine dining in the Amelia’s Garden Restaurant… they also have an on-site Cooking School. We have enjoyed all the amenities of this Resort. The Cooking Classes are great, taught by local Chefs and using ingredients from “The County”… you’ll come away quite impressed with your new skills.

The Waring House = www.waringhouse.com

Also in Picton you’ll find their sister property the Claramount Inn & Spa (east end of Picton, heading towards the Glenora Ferry). They too have excellent accommodations (in the Mansion, the Carriage House, and I believe they also have a Cottage on the property perfect for more than one couple). This Country Inn features an award winning Spa, and also an excellent Dining Room.

Claramount Inn & Spa = www.claramountinn.com

The town of Picton is also home to a third great Country Inn… The Merrill Inn. I haven’t stayed at this particular Inn, but I have enjoyed cuisine that reknowned Chef Michael Sullivan has prepared in their Restaurant.

Merrill Inn = www.merrillinn.com

All of these aforementioned properties are listed with Ontario’s Finest Inns & Spas which my esteemed colleague TOBIE referred to in his post (Reply # 1 above) we are also VIP Members of this Organization (just means that we’ve stayed at several of their properties) and I can say that I’ve never had a bad stay with them.

According to the Ontario’s Finest Inn & Spas Website, I see there is another listing for a property in “The County”… The Devonshire Inn on the Lake, which would be in close proximity to the Isaiah Tubbs Resort.

The Devonshire Inn on the Lake = www.devonshire-inn.com

And lastly, another choice in “the County” would be the Inn at Huff Estates Winery… although it doesn’t have an on-site Restaurant, the Inn does offer a FREE Shuttle to numerous of “The County’s” finer restaurants.

Huff Estates = www.huffestates.com

Lots of great things to see and do around Quinte Isle in the summertime... you'll find more info on the TA PICTON and BELLEVILLE TRAVEL PAGES and their respective TRAVEL FORUMS.... and if you have more Questions, as always just ask away.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 30 July 2010, 05:07
OH
Level Contributor
73 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

Thank you and everyone here, really. You all have come through for me far more than I could have hoped.

Yes, it was Isaiah Tubbs. The name was enough to remember. I am truely dismayed after reading the tripadvisor reviews. As mentioned, years ago this was a beautiful experience for us on our first anniversary (we cherished the stay as one of our best regardless that it was the most economical). Their lodging and service was truely top notch.

I will keep the memories, and thanks to everyone here I have many new/better choices to make new ones. Thanks again.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,672 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to vacation between thousand Island and Toronto?

You're Welcome !