We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

A friend is driving from Ottawa to Winnipeg in the next couple of days.... he has been advised to avoid the Trans-Canada at all costs due to rampant construction on many of the 2 lane sections.

He has been told to drive the 600km longer route through Detroit, Chicago, etc.... as this will save time in the long run.

Anyone driven the TCH through Ontario in the past couple of weeks and can comment on the delay / construction status?

Thanks...

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

Road conditions as well as construction reports can be found on

the weather network.....surprisingly.

theweathernetwork.com/roadconstr/caon0691…

If you use googlemaps, the recommended route is part way through the States ---2,067 km. The route through Port Huron/Sarnia (easier border to cross) to Chicago and then Winnipeg comes up as 2674 km. for the extra 600 km but the time factor is minimal. Considering construction I think that would be a wise idea.

Hope that helps.....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

Thanks Tobie.... I am already familiar with highway condition site, and having driven all the alternative routes myself many times.... know all about the various distances, etc.

Basically, I was looking for a first hand experience of someone driving the TCH around Lake Superior in the past couple of weeks..... My friends information is that 6+ hours of delays can be expected due to construction alone.... I find that hard to believe, so I'm just seeing if I can provide him with some recent first-hand accounts of what's up.

Cheers...

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
308 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

Hi Travelin Man314: I was as far as Marathon from Sault Ste. Marie last weekend and there is some road construction that stretch, not sure about Marathon to Thunder Bay though. I agree about the 6 hours of delays, a half an hour to an hour is more the case. Sault to Marathon, one quick stop driving 105 Km was four hours on a Sunday when the road crews are off. I just checked with a friend who drove to Winnipeg from SSM and she said major construction just outside Winnipeg and along the way some bridge repair but that was a month ago so things can change. Hope that helps. Lee Anne

4. Re: Construction on Trans Canada in Ontario ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 07:29