We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

I am considering joining a 2011 tour to Manchester England that includes Coronation Street. It is organised by Kemptville Travel. As a new Zealander I would like to know

1. Is it a reputable firm.

2. Has anybody been on this tour lately and would you give me an idea how it went. Thankx Kiwi Lady

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Hello kiwilady, and welcome to the Ontario, Canada forum.

Although we do have a place called Kemptville not far from Ottawa, our capital city, I think you would have better luck if you were to try the Europe - UK forum.

Cheers,

Linda

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Hello kiwilady,

There is a travel agency in Toronto, Ontario named Kemptville Travel. I agree with born2bike in that you would have better luck if you were to search in the UK. The Kemptville Travel tour looks fun though (if you like Coronation Street) so hopefully someone who knows of them will respond if they see your post. This tour does seem to begin and end with a return flight between Toronto and Manchester, so I'm not sure it would be right for you.

Good luck.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Hi KiwiLady,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM.

Lol, my late British Ex-Pat Granny would be proud of me answering a Corrie Question… she was a fan her whole life… and first made me aware of this soap back in the late 1960s.

Indeed there is an Annual “World of Coronation Street Tour” that runs out of Toronto every August or September and has done so for 21 years now.

I wasn’t aware until you posted this Question that the Tour Company name is Kemptville Travel… most Corrie Fans Canadawide just refer to it as the “Toronto Coronation Street Tour”.

I did a quick GOOGLE and there looks to be no Reviews for this company on the Internet (TA of course doesn’t do Reviews of Private Tours etc).

BUT based on all that I’ve heard over the years thru the Corrie world (there are plenty of Canadian Coronation Street Websites & Fan Organizations) that this company & their Annual Tour is well respected (now one of the last Tour Groups to get access to Granada Studios and the Corrie Street Sets)… and in my understanding because of that… there are indeed more than JUST Canadians who use this Tour Group (not sure though if that means one can join-up with the tour in Manchester) or ONLY via a Toronto Departure… you’d have to contact Kemptville Travel to find that info out.

As well, you might want to check out some of the Canadian Coronation Street Websites (CBC Canada as well as several Blogs / Corrie Update Sites etc… you can use GOOGLE to find them with the keywords – Canada Coronation Street)… some have Fan Forums where you could post a Question… and you might ultimately someone who has participated in the Annual Tour in the past.

As well, in my own research I discovered the following…

Mark Llewellin from Manchester UK is a Freelance Writer, Event Planner and part-time Tour Guide who helps Kemptville Travel each year with their Itinerary of stops for all things Corrie… he maintains a great Blog where you’ll find detailed entries for each of the Ten Days from the August – September 2010 Tour that marked the 50th Anniversary of Coronation Street (along with some other great stuff on his Blog) = …blogspot.com/2010/08/kemptville-travel-tour…

You’ll find the Website for Kemptville Travel* here = www.kemptvilletravel.com/ and they have much info on-line about past trips, photos, Itineraries, etc.

*NOTE – As stated by BORN2BIKE, Kemptville is also the name of a town here in Ontario (infact the Ottawa area) so be aware that if you GOOGLE Kemptville Travel… you may also get some “hits” for businesses and travel services for that small town as well.

The Kemptville Travel you are looking for is located at 88 Eglinton West, Toronto, Ontario M4R 1A2

Contact via Telephone at (416) 489-2424 OR in Canada Toll FREE 1-866-887-0865 or via email info@kemptvilletravel.com

Hope this is helpful in your research,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… For any Canadian Corrie Fans reading this… I discovered to mark the 50th Anniversary of Coronation Street that CBC will be airing a Corrie Special called “Corrie Crazy” on December 9th hosted by Debbie Travis… as Canada is aprox 9 Months behind in the series broadcast vs Britian… we’ll have to wait until late in 2011 to see the actual Special Anniversary Show that is being shown (actually filmed LIVE) by iTV to mark the milestone.

Edited: 22 November 2010, 21:33
Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Thankx to everyone for that wonderful info. I have contacted Kemptville Travel and they are sending me the info on the 2011 Corrie tour. They are OK with me meeting them in Manchester so with a bit of luck I will finally get to see Coronation Street in the flesh (so to speak). Is there any lady who would like to share a room with me on the tour. (It keeps the cost down) Still interested in hearing from anybody who had done the tour before. Regards Kiwi Lady

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Hi KiwiLady,

You are very welcome... glad I could help.

As much as I'd love to say I was going... things just don't look that way at this minute. LOL

Suggest that you check out those various Websites I posted about above... you may just find someone willing to take you up on the offer.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Curious where is NZ currently in the story line? Canada currently showing early Feburary (today, Tuesday, November 23, 2010 we saw Episode # 7265 = Feb 1, 2010).

Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Sorry i didnt get back to you - Unfortunately we are well behind you - not sure of Episode number but Steve and Becky have not long been married. I have sent my deposit for the 2011 Corrie Tour and will meet up with them in Manchester. Still looking for another lady to share with. Thankx again for all the info Kiwilady.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Hi KiwiLady,

Sounds like New Zealand is about 6 months to a year behind us… and we are now about 9-1/2 Months behind the UK (Today, Monday ~ January 10, 2011 and we’ll be seeing Episode 7299 = March 22, 2010)

I don’t want to give too much away… but when you say…

<< Steve and Becky have not long been married >> lol… I can’t help myself but ask… which time? It is a twisty road that love takes those two on… enjoy it !!

Glad to hear that you are all booked for the 2011 Corrie Tour, and the tour agreed that you could meet up with them in Manchester… I hope you have a fabulous time.

Here is some additional info that you might appreciate about the tour…

For the 50th Anniversary of Corrie (December 9, 2010) here in Canada, CBC broadcast a fabulous special entitled “Corrie Crazy” hosted by Canada’s Debbie Travis (formerly of Manchester UK… now of Home & Garden Tv fame) and it featured a behind the scenes look at “The Street” and why it is so popular with Canadians. Part of the special was filmed in the UK, when the Annual Corrie Tour (the one you’ll be on) out of Toronto was in Manchester. And it also showed Mark Llewellin who was on the motorcoach tour thru Manchester (tour guide)… from what I could see he looked like a very knowledgeable Corrie Fan (lol… Corrie historian?) and a fun guy too. So that bodes well for your trip.

I found the CBC special quite fascinating as it covered the history of Coronation Street as well as this great look at some of the cool things that Canadians get to enjoy on the tour… not to mention the nutty things the Fans do here in Canada on a regular basis… Like “Pings” (Corrie get-togethers) and how annually some members of the Corrie Cast come here for the British Isles Week in Toronto to “Meet the Fans” etc… in April 2010 it was Becky & Sean and by all accounts a “real hoot”

Based on all that I saw on that special broadcast… Kemptville Travel makes sure that everyone is quite comfortable… learns a lot, sees a lot of filming locations, and even meets some of the cast (although a few Travellers in the special… said they were surprised to find out that some of the cast lives in Manchester full-time… so they were stunned when they bumped into one or two of them out doing their day-to-day chores)... lol, guess coming from North America, they were all far more used to the Hollywood definition of a celebrity (unapproachable).

Anyways… after seeing the CBC Special… I am now more than ever certain that you’ll have an amazing time !!

You can watch the CBC Special on-line for yourself if you like…

CBC – Passionate Eye “Corrie Crazy” = cbc.ca/documentaries/…

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Remember, we’ll all be looking forward to your TripReport when all is said & done.

Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Great to hear from you - I tried to watch that special on line but it wouldnt screen outside Canada. never mind I will be seeing it all myself soon. We had a British dramatisation of the beginnings of the Corrie show on TVNZ just before Christmas - Very well done. Yes I will post a review when i get back Bye for now Kiwilady

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Have you booked your trip yet... I to am thinking of going but alone. Recently separated and my kids cant go at that time.

Auckland
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kemptville Travel - Coronation Street Tour

Yes - I have paid my deposit and met up with a Canadian Lady who will share with me. We have been talking on Skype and would you believe it she knew my daughter in laws parents in the 60's. - Had lost touch with them but has now been in contact - certainly a small world.

Maybe we will see you on the trip. Regards kiwilady