We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Edinburgh

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Toronto to Edinburgh

Hi, can anyone help guide me to an airline that flies from toronto to Edinburgh. My husband is running a marathon in Vancouver, we are then heading to Toronto for another Marathon and then to Edinburgh for yet another. Think it may be best to fly Vancouver to Toronto but cant seem to find which airlines fly to Edinburgh (unless we go via Amsterdam!)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

http://www.airtransat.com flies Toronto - Glasgow.

So does:

http://www.canadianaffair.ca/

http://aircanada.com flies to Edinburgh

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

Thank you this is most helpful. Can you tell me a little about airtransat? Its a long time on the flight!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

Air Transat is the largest leisure charter airline in Canada. It is part of the Transat AT, a Canadian/French integrated travel group. Transat AT also owns Canadian Affair, which is a UK-based travel wholesaler that organizes UK- flights on both Air Transat and Thomas Cook Airlines.

There are mixed reviews of Air Transat on Skytrax and other airline review forums. But some are quite positive. You get what you pay for. Expect higher density seating than on a major international scheduled carrier, and very strict application of luggage limits. Air Transat does have an upgraded Club Class service, which is really a premium economy rather than an international business class. It offers 38” seat pitch, upgraded meal service and increased baggage allowance. It has received quite good reviews and is likely more the adequate for what after all would only a six hour transatlantic flight.

Edited: 05 December 2010, 13:32
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

I have flown AT 4 times to Europe in the past 4 years.

It has always been the least expensive option. The seats may or may not be more cramped than other airlines and the food iffy but it's only 7 hours. I'd rather have the money I've saved in my pocket.

I've considered upgrading to their comfort class but $800 extra return doesn't do it for me...

Rob

Edited: 05 December 2010, 14:07
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

We just flew on Air Transat Barcelona/Toronto and have used them in the past with both economy and Club Class. They have now introduced a premium upgrade in economy which was a good compromise for price.....It's called Option Plus:

<<<Seat selection in Economy Class* (when purchased at the airport, Option Plus seating is based on available Economy seats at the time of check-in)

Priority check-in at a dedicated counter

Supplementary baggage allowance up to 10 kg per flight segment if purchased at least 2 days prior to departure for flights departing from Canada and Southern destinations, and 3 days prior to flights departing from all European cities. 10 kg supplementary baggage allowance not applicable on flights to/from Haiti, Portugal and Grenada

Priority baggage handling

Priority queue at security checkpoints (Montreal and Vancouver)

Priority boarding

Headsets

Bar & Snacks

Snack from the On board Bistro selection

1 alcoholic beverage during bar service

Priority Economy Class meal choice

Beer or wine with the meal

Bottle of champagne (200 ml) (South and Europe)

Comfort Kit

Offered on flights to the South and on transatlantic night flights. Includes blanket, inflatable neck pillow, eyeshade, socks, headset, and earplugs. >>>>

We booked the seats at the back of the plane with a 2/2 configuration and wider aisle which was not as luxurious as Club Class, but still much better than regular economy. I think the upgrade was $70pp with the 2/2 and Option Plus. btw~There are no personal tv screens even in Club Class.

Hope that helps with your decision....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
661 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

I've flown with Air Transat a few times to Europe and Central America (economy class). Their price is very attractive and isn't that bad.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

Just to clarify, Air Canada does not fly to Edinburgh. All options with them would connect through London.

8. Re: Toronto to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 06:19