We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

uk
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

My Mum and Dad have the opportunity to go to Toronto for about 10 days. They would stay in the city for about 3 days (whilst my dad works and my mum enjoys the museums) but they're basically 'scenery' people. I am trying to help them design an itinerary for after the city break. My dad's not a confident driver but he'll rent a car to get around, even if he won't want to cover long distances (say 2-3 hours a day). Looking on this forum they could

- drive to Niagra for 2 days but then on to where else before heading back to Toronto?

- drive to Montreal via 1000 island cruise and Mt Tremblant. But how long would the round trip be and is this realistic in 7 days?

Please give me some advice as to how to arrange their holiday! Many thanks in advance.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

If I was them, I would just do Niagara as a day trip by public transport.

Your Montreal, 1000 Islands, Mt. Tremblant is certainly doable in 7 days. However, I don't think I would send a parent I loved, who is not a confident driver, into Montreal traffic. Actually, I know I wouldn't.

But they could do a nice Toronto, Kingston, 1000 Islands, Ottawa and a loop back to Toronto via Algonquin Park.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

I agree with RonW, Montreal wouldn't be the best bet, but I would send them to Ottawa in a heartbeat. And Niagara Falls is very easy and doable for a day. You probably don't need much more than that. Do take time to do the Butterfly Conservatory.

Personally I don't think there's a lot to see in Kingston, but it's a good stopping point for the 1000 Island tours and the Green Acres Inn is cheap but quite nice for the price. It would only be about a 3 hour drive from Toronto. If they left Toronto early they could certainly get to the 1000 Island cruise and spend the afternoon there. Then they could decide whether to stay in the area or head straight to Ottawa. The 1000 Island area is really beautiful.

While in Ottawa they should stay downtown - we like The Minto Place for its location and its rooms. Once they're there they can walk to a lot of places. Plan 2-3 days in Ottawa, do a side drive through Gatineau or take the scenic train to Wakefield. Parliament buildings are worth a see, but they may be insignificant compared to what your parents would have seen. There are all sorts of organized tours that your parents can take. We've been on some of them and they're a great introduction to Ottawa.

Another completely different option is to head to the Bruce Peninsula and spend some time in Tobermory. The drive from Toronto is very pretty and you can do it in a loop. They can take a glass bottom tour of the area and a cruise to Manitoulin Island. It's about 4-5 hours from Toronto, but not hard to do and once they're out of Toronto traffic is very easy. They can stop at Lions Head on the way up, and Grand Bend or Fergus and Elora Gorge on the way down if they wanted to change the trip up. That would be very easy to do in 5 days.

What time of year are they coming? That will make a difference as well.

Cheers.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

»»or take the scenic train to Wakefield.««

Probably not; the rail bed keeps insisting on trying to fall into the Gatineau River. cbc.ca/news/…ottawa-steam-train-sale.html

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

Two thoughts:

1) After Niagara, they could head into SW Ontario - up through Kitchener/Waterloo/St. Jacobs area and then over to Stratford - lovely open farm countrysides, Mennonite markets, and of course the Stratford festival.

2) Heading east from Toronto, get off the busy 401 highway at Port Hope, and follow the old, slower and more scenic Hwy#2 along Lake Ontario shore. The #2 will take them through lovely old towns, apple orchards, etc. They could cross over to Prince Edward County and explore the wineries, local food artisans, etc., and then take the Glenora Ferry back across and continue on to Kingston/Gananoque area.

5. Re: help planning parents trip - 1 week outside toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 21:17