We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

South Shields
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

Hi

We are going to have our honeymoon in Canada (16 days in June). Which self-drive option do you think sounds better? We both like nature but would also like to see the cities...

Option 1

TorontoKingston (1000 lakes) - Montreal – Mont-Tremblant – Ottawa - Algonquin Provincial Park (Huntsville) – Niagara Falls - Toronto

Option 2

Toronto - Kingston (1000 lakes) – Montreal – Quebec – Ottawa - Algonquin Provintial Park (Huntsville) – Niagara Falls – Toronto

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

Edited: 20 October 2011, 15:45
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

Hi Maria~ I think you're really asking whether you should visit Mt. Tremblant or Quebec City, right?

You've already had some excellent advice from other posts here to get this far with plans, and either spot has appeal.

Personally I think Quebec City would be phenomenal, and is certainly different in vibe, cultural activities, scenery, history and beauty than Montreal--- even though they are both in Quebec. It would offer you a different experience in Canada, and is very romantic---a must on a honeymoon. :)

Have a look here and see what you think!

bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/tourist-services-dir…

http://www.quebecregion.com/en

Toronto
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

Hi Maria,

Just to add onto Tobie's post - if you are looking to do more cultural activities, I would say Quebec City. If you also want more outdoor activities, then you may want to consider Mont Tremblant.

Personally, I agree with Tobie and also suggest Quebec City. If you did still want to do some outdoorsy activities, I think you can get some of that from other parts of your itinerary as well (Algonquin, Rafting near Ottawa, etc.).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

I look at it a different way and would drop Quebec City. It will add many kilometers to your already lengthy drive and while 'Old World' and 'quaint' since you are from the Old World it won't be as impressive as it might be for a North American.

So far you've got over 1600 km to drive as it is... on a honeymoon I'm sure you'll want to spend some time out of the car. ;^)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

Hi Maria85x,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM

I see that you have posted several Questions previously in the ONTARIO FORUM… so now that I’ve read each and am “up to speed” I would be another one to vote for Option # 2 that includes Quebec City.

Primarily because Old Quebec is the birthplace of North America… and the ongoing cradle of French Culture… therefore so different from anywhere else on your proposed Itinerary (and it is a very very romantic city)

Mont Tremblant is indeed nice… BUT as your routing no doubt will take you thru the Quebec Foothills Region (Montebello) and then onto Algonquin Park (Huntsville / Muskoka Lakes) … you will have other opportunities to see Canadian Parkland – and examples of Cottage Country.

From one of your previous topics *Thought of a Plan but a few Questions* = tripadvisor.ca/…34569030

At the time you suggested…

<< Toronto (2 days) - Kingston (2 days) - Montreal (1 day) - Quebec (3 days) - Ottawa (3 days) - Huntsville/Midland/Blue Mountain Area (3 days) - Niagara (2 days) - Toronto (1 day). >>

Going with OPTION # 2… I’d tweak that a bit (and I see you are now saying 16 Days) and go with the following timeframes…

Toronto (2 Days) – Kingston & the 1000 Islands (1 Overnight) – Montreal (2 Days) – Quebec City (3 Days) – Ottawa (3 Days) – Algonquin Park (2 Days) – Niagara Falls & Niagara-on-the-Lake (2 Days) – Toronto (1 Day)

I have changed your Days / Nights slightly to more reflect what we generally recommend here on TripAdvisor for each Destination as MINIMUMS.

Knowing more about WHAT interests you for each Destination would be helpful.

Places in the Itinerary that could be further tweaked depending on your ideas / activities could be…

Kingston & the 1000 Islands – Could go back to 2 Days if your thoughts include exploring the Historic Rideau Canal and Waterway

Ottawa & the Capital City Region – Normally 2 Days (could be 3 Days) … depends on if you have put in extra day to cover the aforementioned Historic Rideau Canal Waterway or explore Gatineau Park etc.

Algonquin Park & Cottage Country – Could be 1, 2 or 3 Days… a lot here depends on what you see yourself doing… hiking, canoe trip, staying at an all-inclusive lodge, a cottage, a resort etc ?

So at this point in time to help you set a realistic Itinerary we really need more info from you on WHY you are attracted to these locations… and WHAT you see yourself doing in each.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… If your answer is “because these are the places everyone has mentioned”… then it is time to do more research on each… they are indeed the best of the best… but in many cases there is TONS to see and do in each… so this is why there is a difference say between spending 1 Day or 3 in a location. The cities are easy ones to sort out… it is the non-cities (countryside) that are more of an issue… so let us know what you see yourself doing in the 1000 Islands Region and Algonquin Park in particular. And if you are still not sure, tell us that too… and we can certainly hook you up with resources to help you learn more about them.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 18:11
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

It all depends on if you want to drive another 5 hours east of Montreal and then back again. You might want to leave the car in Montreal and take the train (VIA Rail) to Quebec City. The train would make for a nice change of pace and something a little different. Everything you want to see and do is walking distance from the station. However, I might be a bit biased because I got married in Quebec City. wink

If I were to make an amendment to your itinerary, if seeing the Parlaiment buildings aren't a big priority, I'd probably drop Ottawa off your list. I have nothing against Ottawa or it's people, I just find the city to be a bit of a bore in the summer. It's much better in winter.

If I may recommend something on the Niagara leg of your tour. The Falls are very impressive but the city of Niagara Falls is a tacky tourist town. Check out the Falls and then take River Road to the town of Niagara-On-The-Lake located on the shores of Lake Ontario (where the Niagara River empties) approx. 30 minutes from the city of Niagara Falls.

Niagara-On-The-Lake is a lovely historical town, (yes there are tourists in Niagara-On-The-Lake too), with vinyards and a fortress nearby. And the drive along the Niagara River is gorgeous. At the midway point of your drive will see a sign for the "Whirlpool Rapids". A path will lead you down into the gorge and you can witness the shear fury and force of this mighty River frist hand. It's a far better option than sticking around the Falls once after you've seen them.

Have fun.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

HI KRUSTYTRIPPER,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM

And I see you are also fairly NEW to the TA FORUMS... so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Just one comment on your excellent posting... a little clarification on timing and distances...

<< It all depends on if you want to drive another 5 hours east of Montreal and then back again. You might want to leave the car in Montreal and take the train (VIA Rail) to Quebec City. >>

Montreal to Quebec City is aprox 250 Kms and 3 Hours EAST of Montreal.

Quebec City to Ottawa is aprox 450 Kms (via the Northshore Route) and just over 5 Hours WEST of Quebec City.

Both routes are driven all the time by Travellers... (and I myself do each several times a year)... and both are quite good / scenic. The Northshore Routing includes Chemin du Roy - Trois Rivieres - The Quebec Foothills Region - and Montebello... and makes a nice progression to connect with Ottawa and Algonquin Park (the latter of which seems to be a MUST DO for this Traveller)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Lol, not sure how Ottawa can be seen as "boring" in the summertime with our many festivals and events... this is afterall a city that is built on parkland and an outdoors lifestyle.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 19:36
7. Re: Honeymoon in Canada... which option sounds better?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:18