We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car & insurance

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
rental car & insurance

I was told that I need to purchase insurance on my rental car while in Canada.

Even though my insurance covers me in the rental in the US, I was told I need to purchase a $24/day coverage even though I'm only to Toronto & Niagara Falls.

Is this correct?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car & insurance

Hi Reyesj226,

Welcome to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUM

A lot depends on what your Insurance Coverage is in the US (I'd check with the company that actually holds your policy to see what they say about International Coverage)

<< I was told that I need to purchase insurance on my rental car while in Canada. >>

Honestly, I am most curious WHO told you this...

Example, was it your own Insurance Company... another Traveller, a Website... or a Canadian Car Rental Company ??

As it stands the info you have provided here is pretty vague.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 11 November 2011, 04:40
Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car & insurance

I was told by a friend that is also going on this trip.

She was trying to lease a car from Budget (same company I'm leasing my car for the trip) and was told she needed to obtain addtl insurance in Canada.

I go to Mexico all the time and as long as I stay within 25 miles into Mexico, my insurance will cover my car. If I go into the interior, then the Mexican insurance is optional.

I'm just not aware if this is the rental company, Canada, or whoms rule, if it does exist.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cartagena
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car & insurance

I agree with Wine-4-2, you need to check with your own insurance company.

I'm heading to Arizona and am renting a vehicle. My collision and comprehensive insurance is covered by my gold Visa, but I needed to contact my insurance company to get coverage for liability.

Only your own insurance company will be able to give you an accurate answer.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 12:18
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car & insurance

Are you renting the car in the US or in Canada?

If you rent the car in Ontario, there is certainly no "rule" that you have to purchase additional coverage. The rental company provides the legal minimum coverage, included in the base rate. However, that coverage isn't all-inclusive (notably you're still on the hook for damage to or theft of the rental car itself), so you can get more fully covered via some credit cards, your own auto insurance policy, or optional coverage you buy when you rent.

If you rent the car in the US and tell them you'll be driving in Canada, the car rental company should provide a Canada Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card (aka the pink card). This is a standardized proof-of-insurance card used in Canada. I've never heard of being charged extra for this, though the same caveats as above apply -- there's a gap between what's legally required and what would protect you from having to pay for damages should something happen during the rental.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 12:54
Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car & insurance

The coverage they are trying to sell you sounds like the ldw (loss damage waiver) which is optional.

I would check with your insurance company, but I imagine you'll be good to go.

Have fun :)

6. Re: rental car & insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 06:16