We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

Hi. I am trying to plan a 10 day holiday this August to one or two of the great lakes in Ontario. 2 adults 2 teenagers, outdoor activities, perhaps log cabin and ability for friends from UK and up state New York to be able to join us. Mid range budget. Where do I start??

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

What would a mid range budget be? Perhaps if you gave more information about what you want you may get more replies.

When you say great lakes, do you mean one of the actual 'great lakes'. Because these lakes are so large, lakefront property on them is often some of the most expensive. There are many smaller lakes throughout Ontario that may actually meet your needs better - they may be warmer, less busy etc etc.

Have you searched the forums for past questions similar to yours? I know people have asked about cottages and resorts previously. Are you looking to book a cottage, or a lodge/resort type place?

ktown

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,714 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

>>"...to one or two of the great lakes in Ontario."<<

Hi John;

Just to add to my esteemed colleague ktown's comments...

Lake Ontario is;

• 19,010 sq. km / 11,812 sq. mi.

• approx. 311 km / 193 mi. in length

• approx. 85 km / 53 mi. in width.

Best Regards

Almaguin Highlands...
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

I'm thinking the same thing as ktown... Are you sure you want to visit "one or two of the great lakes"?

Perhaps you're thinking instead of what's referred to as 'cottage country', aka areas with lakes, forests, outdoor activities like hiking and water sports, small towns, wilderness parks, etc., generally within a few hours drive of the major urban centres of southern Ontario.

You mention staying in a log cabin, so you may want to look at renting a cottage, which is generally stand-alone and self-contained so you make your own meals, clean up after yourself, and sometimes have to provide your own bed linens. Cottages are often rented by the week. Rental rates vary widely but generally is not inexpensive.

A lower-cost alternative are "housekeeping cabins" or "cottage resorts". These are properties with a number of small cottages sharing common grounds and amenities. Again, you make your own meals, clean up after yourself, and often provide your own bedding. Like cottages, they are usually rented by the week in the summer months.

A third option is B&B's. In cottage country, they're often located on nice properties so you get the same surroundings as a cottage but, of course, you don't have the same amount of exclusive space you do with a whole cottage. Generally they include a good breakfast but the rest of your meals would be dining out.

Specific accommodations will really depend on what area you decide to focus on. You asked where to start looking and I'll suggest Muskoka and Algonquin Park. Muskoka was chosen by National Geographic Travel as one of the top places in the world to visit in 2012; and Algonquin Park is all about iconic Canadian landscapes and experiences. Try starting here:

ontariotravel.net/TCISSegmentsWeb/…

Also, many visitors to Ontario hire a car and do a bit of a road trip to see more than just one area during their visit. Toronto, Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Algonquin Park and Ottawa are often on the route. You may wish to include some of these places as well.

Fire away with more questions and have fun planning your holiday!

4. Re: Family and friends Summer holiday in the Great Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2013, 10:17