We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rv Touring Canada

Redland City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rv Touring Canada

We are travelling from Toronto to Vancouver in an RV.

Are there any free camps in Canada like in Australia?

We are taking thirty days to drive across and would like some advice on what to see along the way.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rv Touring Canada

G'day terry o, and welcome to Trip Advisor.

Just a quick thought. Have you actually FOUND any company that would rent you an RV to do such a long distance one-way trip? If so, and I doubt if you might, have you looked at the implications of a one-way drop-off fee? Somehow the vehicle would have to be returned to Toronto.

Perhaps others may have something to add to that point, and answer your questions as well, but as it is about 1:20am in Ontario at the moment you may have to wait until tomorrow.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rv Touring Canada

HIghly unlikely you will find free places to camp, other than some Walmart parking lots.

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Found this site that might help :

http://freecampsites.net/canada/

Next option might be here :

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

You haven't mentioned what time of the year are you planning this trip?

Redland City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Hi

Thanks for the input. Canadream has rented me an RV and the $750 one way fee has been waivered.

Redland City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Hi thanks

I have heard that you can stop in a Walmart overnight. here in Australia we have free camps right around the country. We are also able to stop in showgrounds for a small fee, usually about $16, and this is for power, water, toilets and hot showers.

Redland City...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Hi thanks for the website for free camps.

We will arrive in Toronto on the 21st May.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Terry;

>>"I have heard that you can stop in a Walmart overnight."<<

Some people have been known to run generators overnight for onboard electricity, causing noise problems. Many communities have passed by-laws outlawing overnight parking in lots, such as Wal-Mart’s, as they are located in residential areas and the noise creates a disturbance.

Be sure to get permission from the store’s Manager.

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Here's an iPad/iPod/iPhone app for overnights at Walmarts:

allstays.com/c/walmart-locations-noparking.h…

Blind Bay, BC
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rv Touring Canada

Terry you might also find very small towns along the way that will have either free or by donation camping. Usually it's a place to pull in maybe electric but not always & usually a water tap. Start requesting each province's camping books. Wealth of information in them.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rv Touring Canada

"Canadream has rented me an RV and the $750 one way fee has been waivered."

Well done, Terry. Perhaps the vehicle needs to be delivered to the west for the use of the other Aussies visiting BC and the Rockies in the summer, of which there will be plenty. :)

I cannot help with your trip planning as my only experience is with BC and the Rockies. I can advise that you should plan to spend a minimum of seven days in the Rockies, spread between Banff and Jasper, and probably another three days driving by one of the several scenic routes through BC to Vancouver.

Perhaps a post similar to your original question should be posted to the 'Road Trips' forum here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_…

Have a great trip in a wonderful country. We will be in Ontario and Quebec in June next.