We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is cheaper? America or canada?

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Hi im going to Miami and canada in the summer. Where should i do my shopping and which place will my GBP go further?? I know you get canadian dollars to a pound but are things generally more expensive in canada??

Thank you

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Depends on what you are going to buy and where in Canada you are going.

Ontario
Level Contributor
751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

The last time I was in Miami (almost 10 years ago... :( ) It was verrry expensive!!

I live in Canada--and like the other poster said it will all depend on what you want to buy.....

Minneapolis
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

I'm goin to thunder bay on thursday and friday night. I heard that alcohol is much more expensive in Canada then it is in Minnesota. Whats the truth of that? Just wondering if I should plan on bringing the legal limit to cross the border or not bother and buy there... Where is alcohol cheaper?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
30 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Regular prices are kinda higher in States. But you get more deals. So if your idea of shopping is "get in, get stuff, get out quick" or shopping time slot in your schedule is small, you may be a little better off in Canada. But generally, big malls (and especially outlets) are better in States, especially taking into account current exchange rate. Shopping tours to States are popular todays in Toronto.

About price of booze. I have no idea about Western prices. But in Ontario 0.75 liter bottle of hard liquor goes for 21 CAD or more. Do your math.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

It depends where you are going in Canada, but generally it is less expensive here than in Miami, I was in Miami a couple of years back and man was it expensive.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,000 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

here is the price list for booze in Ontario (because you can only buy it retail from one source - the government stores)

www.lcbo.com/products/productsearch.shtml

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

We travel to florida alot and I don't find much price difference. If you calculate in the exchange rate then you are betterh to buy in Canada as you GBP is worth more in Canada then in the States. If the prices are about the same then buy it in Canada.

As for liquor, beer and tobacco definately buy it in the states its about half price in the states compared to Canada. We always bring back as much as we are allowed every time we cross.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Like the last person said. Canada is a very large country (2nd Largest) and is very different depending on where you go.

Send an other comment to let us know where in Canada you are going, then we will be able to give you more info.

Gas is cheaper in the USA.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Alcoholic beverages and gasoine are cheaper in the US because they don't have the added federal and provincial taxes that those products have in Canada....(gotta pay for our health care system somehow!)

All Canadian provinces except Alberta have provincial sales taxes added to many items; all of Canada has the 7% federal GST (Goods & Services Tax). Visitors can get reimbursement for some of the GST they pay, including goods taken out of the country - details available here:

www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/README.html

Generally bigger centres will have lower prices, don't expect to find bargains at resorts or "touristy" places - in either country.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is cheaper? America or canada?

Miami and lots of Florida cities have large 'outdoor' flea markets with lots of goods at reasonable prices. I work in Canada but live in Seattle. I can tell you that if I go into a retail store in the states and see something for $10us its $15 Cdn, plus 16% or so tax so yes I find Canadian goods much more expensive. Western Canada may be dissimilar to eastern Canada but with the added tax and not much exchange difference I'd shop in the states. Canadian made goods are always cheaper in the US that in Canada, which always surprised me.