We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orillia to Montreal

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Orillia to Montreal

I am visiting in June on a road trip and need some help with my route.

I have booked a night in Orillia and have 2 nights to get to Montreal and was hoping to go through Algonquin park if possible .

Where would be a good place to break the journey each day so the driving was not too much.

Any ideas on hotels/in would be great.

cheers

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orillia to Montreal

Can't help with hotel suggestions, but you could stop near Algonquin one night, and Ottawa the second night. Check out their respective forums/lodging listings for places to stay. Algonquin might have lodging such as yurts available, which might be a good experience.

ktown

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Orillia to Montreal

I agree that if you want to see Algonquin Park, that's where you should spend a night or two. Driving to Montreal via Algonquin (ie. via Hwy 11 north to Huntsville, Hwy 60 to Ottawa, Hwy 417 to Montreal) is a significant detour compared to the straightforward route (Hwy 401) so you should make the most of it in Algonquin if that's what you're interested in. There are campgrounds and a few pricey lodges within the park, and if you're looking for low-budget but indoor accommodations I've had good experience with the Wolf Den Bunkhouse (http://www.wolfdenbunkhouse.com/) just outside the park's west gate. I'm sure there are more accommodations options available in Whitney, Oxtongue Lake and the larger Huntsville.

Why are you staying in Orillia by the way?

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orillia to Montreal

Thanks for you reply, we are on a 2 week road trip and we are staying in NOTL the previous 2 nights. Orillia

was about the right amount of miles to break our journey. It might be better to miss the park and go across country to find some decent accommodation.

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Orillia to Montreal

If you're skipping Algonquin Park, then unless you're interested in Ottawa or Muskoka, you should be driving to Montreal via the 401 east from Toronto, in which case Orillia is not on your way at all.

As I alluded there are a few accommodations options inside the park and many more just outside that would still offer a good base for exploring Algonquin's lakes and hiking trails. Perhaps instead of staying in Orillia you can continue one more hour north to Huntsville, which is a very nice town and only a half hour drive from Algonquin, so leaving Huntsville early in the morning you could spend a good day inside the park. Ottawa would then be on your way from Algonquin to Montreal, if you're interested in the national capital stuff.

I just don't think Orillia has a lot to offer the visitor, and just 20 to 60 minutes north of it are Muskoka towns like Gravenhurst, Bracebridge and Huntsville which offer access to much more scenic areas.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orillia to Montreal

I would reccommend that you do not miss Algonquin Park.

Check these for accomodations.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotels-g181752-c2-Huntsville_…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orillia to Montreal

I put it in google maps this morning, and if I'm not mistaken it's only adding about an hour of driving time if you choose to go up through Algonquin and Ottawa vs. via Toronto (with the added bonus of missing the Toronto traffic).

ktown

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Orillia to Montreal

ktowntravllr -- yes, that's true, assuming you're starting from Orillia. But going up to Orillia is already part of taking the Algonquin/Ottawa route. Planning a route from scratch from Niagara, it is at least 3 hours faster to drive via Toronto and Kingston than Algonquin and Ottawa.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orillia to Montreal

Yes, but the OP stated they've booked into Orillia already, and was asking about the route from there to Montreal.

True that people in Ontario may not understand why the OP wants to visit Orillia, but last year I spent a few nights in Birmingham, England...everyone from England and even Birmingham kept asking us why, because there was nothing there for us...we had a great time and plan to go back again. To each their own.

ktown

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orillia to Montreal

HI we are really just stopping in Orillia as a sleepover on our trip.

We planned to go thro the park on our way to Montreal but are struggling to find any decent accomodation.

I think we will cut across country to Bancroft and then on to Ottowa.We have already booked 2 nights Montreal and 3 in Kingston so we are pretty much sorted.

Thanks for all your comments.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orillia to Montreal

Not a lot of accommodation in Bancroft either. If you can, I'd suggest then just trying to make it to at least the outskirts of Ottawa, so you can spend 2 nights there.

ktown