We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

We are just at the planning stages of an 8 night trip and would like some help/advice before booking please! We are family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers (13 and 18) and have never visited Canada before. We will be flying in and out of Toronto and my initial thoughts were first two nights (does it need 2 Nights?) at Niagara Falls, drive to Kingston (not sure whether we will need more than one night?) then if possible Ottawa, before final three nights in Toronto (to coincide with a Blue Jays game). We will hire a car initially but drop off for the time in Toronto. Can Ottawa - Toronto be done by train instead? Any help to point me in the right direction for planning (before more questions!) will be gratefully received.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

I don't think you need more than one night in Niagara Falls, unless you really want to thoroughly explore the wineries in the region as well as the falls, marineland and all the cheesy attractions in town. One night in Kingston might also be enough. There is certainly train service from Ottawa to Toronto, but if you get to Ottawa in a car you rented in Toronto, it might be better to drive the car back to Toronto and avoid the one-way dropoff fee.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

Making Toronto your last stop is a bit tricky since Niagara Falls and Ottawa are in complete opposite directions. You would have to see Niagara Falls first then spend the better part of a day driving to Kingston or Ottawa while bypassing Toronto in the process.

I would spend the first 4 nights in Toronto and make Niagara Falls a day trip. Niagara Falls is only a 1.5 hour drive from Toronto (each way) so with an early start you really do get to spend a full day there. The Falls are definitely worth seeing, but the city itself is rather crummy/cheesy so I can't see the need to spend a night (unless you want to do wine tours also).

From your base in Toronto it would also be much easier for you to jump on a train to Kingston (2.5 hours), Ottawa (4 hours) or even Montreal (5 hours by express train). Unless you plan on visiting museums, Ottawa can be covered completely in two days. I'm not sure what there is to see in Kingston.

UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

Thank you for that, is it going to be too much to try and fit in both cities in the time scale. Should we say, consider dropping Ottawa from the itinery and vising Huntsville? Which order to do these things and is it too much driving in 8/9 days? Suggestions gratefully received.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

If this is your first visit, I would skip Kingston. Kingston is okay but time may be better spent in other places.

One noght in Niagara Falls is sufficient if you don't want to explore the wine country and the Niagara region.

I would do Toronto and Ottawa. Toronto is Canada's largest city and it's mutli-cultural sections. Ottawa is the capital and a lots of parkland.

I agree with your thought of Huntsville. You can drive from Ottawa to Huntsville through the wilderness of Algonquin Park. You may even see wildlife. If you see cars pulled over with people looking into the woods or swamp, it may be a moose.

Huntsville to Toronto is less than 2.5 hours unless it's the end of a weekend, when everyone is returning from their cottages.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

What time do you land in Toronto? I'm guessing it won't be late in the day (Canada time), but you may be getting tired. I would spend the first night in Toronto and then rent a car in the morning and head towards Niagara Falls for night two. Nights 6, 7 and 8 you want to spend in Toronto, so that means you just have to plan for nights 3, 4, and 5.

I prefer Ottawa over Toronto, but since you are flying in and out of Toronto, you need to decide if you want to spend your three free nights exploring cities or the outdoors.

You could spend night 3 in Kingston and nights 4 and 5 in Ottawa but you would be driving by a lot of nice Canadian wilderness to get to cities. Only you can decide how much driving you would like to do on your trip. Ottawa does have great museums, nice city tours, and lots of nice park areas.

You could spend nights 3-5 in Huntsville and spend your time on the shores of Georgian Bay or Algonquin Park and spend some time hiking and exploring the outdoors.

Another option would be to still spend night 3 in Kingston. On day 4 you could explore the 1000 Islands (hiking, river cruise, Skydeck) and spend night 4 in Kingston again. On day 5 you could head out of Kingston on the Loyalist Parkway, take the free Glenora Ferry and spend the day in Prince Edward County. There's lots of little hiking spots along the shore of Lake Ontario as well as Sandbanks Provincial Park with large sand dunes and nice swimming. You could spend night 5 in Belleville or head back to Toronto so that you have another full day in the city,

What were you looking at doing in the cities? Toronto has museums, Canada's Wonderland, a zoo, the CN Tower, the Blue Jays, shopping, shows, and lots more. There are a lot of great things to do in Southern Ontario, so as long as you don't try to fit too much in, you should have a great time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

When being in Niagara Falls, you must stay late after sunset to see the light on the falls. It is beautiful. Arriving around 9hooAm, you buy tickets for touring bus all day. You could stop and visit differents places along the river bank, taking boat, doing trail, visiting butterflies garden ...If you drive, from this way you could continue to do the wine route leading to Niagara on the lake and get back to Toronto, or in opposite way you take the exit Nigara on the lake before Niagara Falls.

And you could stop in different wine shops and taste our ice wine...

If you visit Hunsville, you coul do a cruise on Georgian bay to see Thirty thousands islands during a sunny day.

Have a good trp.

7. Re: Help with an itinerary Toronto/Niagara Falls/Kingston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 10:17