We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Warren, Michigan
13 posts
Save Topic
Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

My wife and I are going to do a road trip in Ontario, and I need some help with places to stay along the way.

We are from the Detroit area, so I have the first leg of it planned (Detroit-Port Stanley-Niagra), but I'm stuck from there.

We like to travel along the water on our trips, so we plan to go around roughly to Toronto(maybe), then up to the Owen Sound area, then back down the water side to Detroit.

I'm looking at maps and pulling city names, but I'm looking for some help. The only reason we are going to Port Stanley is because we've been through there before and loved it.

I don't have experience like that in other areas of Ontario.

Thanks in advance!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Why not get into the less developed parts of Ontario by exploring Georgian Bay, either the eastern shore (Parry Sound/30,000 Islands area) or the western shore (Bruce Peninsula, north of Owen Sound to Tobermory)? Two very different but very scenic areas if you're into the natural side of things. You could even drive a loop around Georgian Bay but that would involve a pricey ferry ride between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Well the area around-heading into Toronto is factories, rail lines, there is a few park areas but nothing like Port Stanley.

Its a long ways from Niagara to Owen Sound with a stop around Toronto.

Are you camping, how many days are you thinking of staying ?

Warren, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

I should have been more specific, but I would like to stay in what I guess is South West Ontario. They may have been evident by the areas I posted, but I wanted to be sure.

Warren, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

It is going to be a week long trip.

Last year we went around the "coast" of Michigan, and we would like to do something similar.

I think we want to be in Port Stanley for 2 days, but after that I was thinking 1 day in the Niagra area, then start my way up.

I saw a city called Barrie, but not sure on that spot.

It stinks because being from MI, I can look at a map and see "small" cities on the map like Ludington, etc and know they are worth stopping in, but I don't know the areas in Ontario like that.

Warren, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

I was only going to go through Toronto because my wife hasn't been there, but we really like going to places that are the opposite of the big city.

We like cool beachy towns.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Then I guess Parry Sound is out, but if you're going up to Owen Sound anyway (which is about a 3 hour drive from Toronto), you may as well head up to the northern Bruce Peninsula (Tobermory) - only another hour, and some spectacular hiking/boating/sightseeing. On the way back south you can visit Sauble Beach and/or Pinery Provincial Park.

Edit - your last two posts were while I was writing this one. I wouldn't go out of my way to see Barrie. Either go directly from Toronto towards Owen Sound, or detour a bit to see Wasaga Beach and/or Collingwood, if those appeal to you. The destinations in my previous paragraph here are still very relevant based on what you've just said.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 19:38
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Unless you really want to see the falls over in Niagara, I'm not sure its worth going out of the way to. The Bruce Peninsula (Tobermory) area sounds interesting and summer is the best time to visit.

Then again the falls are really neat to see-hear.

Yes us from Michigan don't hear much about other areas outside of Michigan. All you can do is get out there and explore..and ask lots of questions, maybe have flexible plans so you can move on quicker if you like.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 20:00
Warren, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Toronto isnt a for sure.

Frankly, Niagara doesnt have to be either, it was just a destination I knew along the way.

So when I'm up near the northern part, owen sound area, where should I stay to get around?

1 spot then drive to the must see spots, or stay in different locations?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

What do you want to do ? I would guess some places rent boats, cabins, there is enough water around, you think it be available.

I've never been up there, hopefully others will chime in.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with Road Trip - Locations on water

Goderich is a nice stop, the downtown was the inspiration for the Magic Kingdom for Disney World.....though it was hit with a tornado lat year, so I am not sure about the damage.....the while area around Goderich is beautiful with beaches in and around Kincardine....hope this helps a bit!