We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Canada!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
First time in Canada!!

Hi,

My wife and i will be visiting canada for the first time in late april and could use some help. We are flying from miami fl We will be there for 7-8 days including flight ofcoarse.

For a fact we want to visit niagara falls. However could use some advice on what cities to visit. Will we have time to visit 3 cities? Or should wenonky do 2?

The main thing we want to do is possibly ski, and some snow activities like dog sled or tubing. Something we wouldnt be able to do in miami.

I know april is not winter but is when we can go.

Thank you in advance for all feedback,

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Canada!!

It's extremely unlikely you will be able to do snow related activities in April in the eastern part of Canada.... there might be a faint possibility of skiing in Quebec. To do any of the type of activities you are thinking of you must head west to the Rockies (Alberta), or BC (Whistler, interior BC). You should post on the Alberta and British Columbia forums to see what skiing availibility is like in April.

However with the time you have you cannot visit both Niagara Falls and the western part of the country without spending a lot of time travelling.

Edited: 19 October 2012, 01:01
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Canada!!

Late April is way too late for snow, you need to head way north

BTW, its more fun to watch on TV, IMO. Winter is the least favorite time of year for me, freezing is no fun

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Canada!!

Have you experience winter before, just asking. If not, go find some store with big walk in freezers and see if you can walk inside one for a bit and be sure you fan yourselves to get a feel for what it is like. The wind can be 20 mph or more in zero degree temps during the winter winter

Late April skiing is great out west in the mountains, like Colorado, they have great skiing then and its warmer in the strong sunshine that time of the year. The snow is so deep you still can ski and not freeze.

If the cold is no problem, then I don't know, maybe Alaska would be best and for sure they have dog sledding.

If you really want to see Niagara Falls -which should be nice weather wised by late April, then fly in to Buffalo, not Canada, airfare is much cheaper. Most people find the Niagara area too boring for more then a few days, Toronto is just 2 hours away by car or bus....no snow thou...you would need to head back to Buffalo and fly North or again out West.

Colorado would just be around a 3 hour flight if its non stop.

You have lots of time to research your trip. I would keep an open mind where to go for right now. TA forums can be quite helpful and then there is always Google and the like.

Good luck

Edited: 19 October 2012, 04:35
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,535 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Canada!!

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Rudy;

Niagara Falls is approx. 80 miles / 130 km southwest of Toronto. The average drive is about 1½ hours, without any traffic delays.

Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in Canada & the US after New York, Los Angeles & Chicago. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do, but snow is very unlikely.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Canada!!

Rudy...............since you really want to see Niagara Falls, I suggest you fly to Toronto and either rent a car and do a self drive to the Falls and then visit Niagara on the Lake (a lovely town a short drive away)......spend an overnight at Niagara Falls and a day in NOTL................drive back to Toronto and see the city for the next 3-4 days and then home.........IMO 99.999% no snow at this time, and the ski resorts north of Toronto will be closed...........alternatively, you could take a bus (Megabus)to Niagara Falls and tour on your own, or you could take a guided tour (Chariots of Fire for instance) which does the Falls and NOTL both.........................if you really want to ski................you'll have to research where you could possibly find this in late April..................it won't be anywhere remotely near Niagara......

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Canada!!

For 7-8 days I'd suggest Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake, and Toronto. If you really want to push it, you could see one other city such as Ottawa or Montreal, but if you choose to do that I'd suggest flying into maybe Toronto, Buffalo or Niagara Falls, NY, and flying out of either Ottawa or Montreal.

ktown

ontario canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Canada!!

hi and welcome to your first visit to canada in the spring.

it sounds to me like you want to do something 'canadian'. unfortunatly, as stated before you wont be able to do any snow activities anywhere in southern ontario (but not unfortunatly for us because we are sick and tired of it by then!)

theglobeandmail.com/news/…

sceniccaves.com/activities/…

i found some links for outdoors things to do. though i think you would have to have transportation to get around to any of these.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Canada!!

April is usually a transition in seasons month, probably be damp, some days warm, but very unlikely that snow will be around.....I belive that Ktowntravllr suggestion in #8 to be on the money for what you should do.....The Blue Jays will be plaing at this time, so if you like baseball that is something to consider for a night......

9. Re: First time in Canada!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 10:17