We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young family destination

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Young family destination

We planning a summer vacation for our family (including my husband, myself, and our 4 young children ages 18 mos - 7 years). We are looking for something within about a 6 hour drive of Toronto (keeping in mind that a 6 hour drive with 4 kids is likely to take 8!)...a 'destination vacation' in that we would drive to specific destination to see/do something specific, but somewhere that would also offer some choices of activities over a few days. (for example, we went to Philadelphia a couple of years ago to go to Sesame Place there, but also did some of the attractions in Philly). We would prefer to stay in Ontario, but are open to travelling to the US as well. Any suggestions?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young family destination

Well, the most obvious choice would be Toronto itself. Is that an option for you?

If not, what about Prince Edward County/Picton, or Kingston?

ktown

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young family destination

Because we only live about an hour from TO, and have family there, we've seen and done a lot there already, and often do a daytrip.

We're looking for something a little off the beaten-track (ie. probably not a major city, unless there's a particular reason).

Is there anything in particular in PECounty?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young family destination

Ottawa is somewhere to consider...beautiful in springtime/summer, children's museums, museums, Rideau canal....

Sault Ste. Marie is probably around eight hours, there's a train that takes you through the Agawa Canyon, not sure of much else, maybe shop in Michigan....

Stateside suggestions:

Columbus Ohio, great city! World famous zoo, great neighbourhoods including the German Village and the Short North, a topiary garden and some shopping on the way (you could stop in Cleveland for the children's museum and or the rock and roll hall of fame)

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
171 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young family destination

I second Ottawa as a vacation spot because it would be a good experience for children. Also, you could stop at the Big Apple in Cobourg for a rest stop halfway on the road trip; just look for a big apple on the south side of the 401 and you will see the exit for it shortly after.

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
547 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young family destination

Ottawa is a good idea. You could tour the Mint or Parliament buildings. For museums, I suggest the Children's Museum at the Museum of Civilization, the Museum of Science and Tech, the Museum of Nature, and the Aviation Museum in that order. There are nice tours (by bus or boat) as well as plenty of kid friendly places to eat. You can visit the 101 website for a list of other children's activities:

www.101kidstravel.com/index.cfm…

Between Toronto and Ottawa are some nice places to stop off:

- In Peterborough there is a free zoo with a small train and splash pad.

- In Prince Edward County you could spend some time on the beach at Sandanks Provincial Park or explore some rocky shoreline in the southeast and southwest corners of the island.

- Kingston is home to Fort Henry and a 'funworld' with go-karts, mini-putt, and a drive-in.

- Around Gananoque is the 1000 Islands Region with the 1000 Islands Skydeck, river cruises, and plenty of nice riverfront along the 1000 Islands Parkway.

- Around Kingston and Gananaque there are some nice places for hiking or nature walking (explorethearch.ca/hike-the-arch/hiking-trails).

There are also many nice places for camping, but I personally wouldn't want to do that with an 18 month old plus 3 other children.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,585 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young family destination

I like the idea of Ottawa too....you say summer, but not specific dates.....if July 1st works for you, why not celebrate Canada Day in our Nation's Capital?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young family destination

Prince Edward County has swimming at the beautiful Sandbanks Provincial Park, towns of Picton and Bloomfield to explore, Lake on the Mountain, a couple of cheese factories, hiking, biking...

Take the ferry toward Kingston and drive on to explore all that Kingston has to offer.

ktown

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young family destination

Smugglers Notch Resort in Vermont is fabulous for families with young children. It's a 7 hour drive, so a little further than you were looking for.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young family destination

Another option would be Cleveland. You could even take the ferry over to Ohio from Leamington. They have Cedar Point, Seaworld etc.

ktown

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young family destination

With kids that age, I would go to one of the many lovely cottage resorts in Muskoka. We've been going to one, Lumina, every summer since our twin boys were 7. They are now 19 and still love it!