We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family road trip

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Family road trip

This summer my family and I will be traveling, by car, from Detroit, Michigan to Toronto and Niagra Falls. Would it be best to pay for expenses (gas, food and other small expenses) by either travelers checks or canadian currancy?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,069 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family road trip

Hi Lori;

TC's are great to have for an emergency back-up, in case the magnetic stipe on your plastic decides to quit. Nowadays, most clerk wouldn't know what a TC is, or what to do with it.

Most places will take American credit cards, however there may be fees over and above the exchange rate charged by the credit card issuer. Some credit cards have a Foreign Usage Fee tacked on for usage outside of the issuing country. Check with your card issuer for exact details.

For some money saving tips, have a look at the traveller article “Canada – Banks & Money” here on TA.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:Ba…

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,287 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family road trip

I'd use your credit cards and Canadian currency.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family road trip

Another vote for plastic and cash....

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family road trip

Your ATM card (presuming you have one) should work in Canadian ATMs so if using cash there's no need to load up on Canadian currency before crossing the border.

I have not seen anyone use travelers checks in a long time (decades) in Canada.

5. Re: Family road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:17