We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito help

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito help

I'm a magnet for mosquitos and any other bug that bites. I often get an allergic reaction - although I travel extensively (tropics, Central America etc) but the worst place for me in the whole world is Ontario. I visit sometimes two or three times a year and I'm beginning to dread the summer visits because my holiday gets ruined by those damn mosquitos! Obviously I've researched over the years things you can do to prevent being bitten, but whatever I do, they get me. My feet and ankles are permanently scarred by Ontario mosquito bites - can any Canadians recommend a mosquito repellant? I'm not allergic to DEET so no problem with that. I'm hoping that there may be a repellant sold in Canada that I've missed - I usually buy in the UK and bring it with me, but someone may have a secret cure they'd like to share??

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,638 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito help

TIPS – Don’t use a lot of perfumed products… Mosquitoes are attracted to scents like Soap – Shampoo – Conditioner – Perfume etc. Spray yourself down with bug spray. Wear long sleeves and long pants, and lighter colours (white, cream, beige) especially in the cool of day and evening… and socks… mosquitoes for some reason love feet… many a camper will tell you they wear socks to bed for exactly this reason…

You'll want a repellant that has a high DEET content - usually about 30%. Deep Woods Off is one that's often recommended.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito help

I would go with one of these two....have a look at the photos. Here's a tip.....instead of spraying it directly onto your legs and arms I like to spray it into the palm of my hands and rub it on (neck, ears, arms, legs, ankles, feet etc...) as if I was using sunscreen. Then I spray all over my clothes as if I was using hairspray. I would put it on every 3-4 hours.

whatsinsidescjohnson.com/images/layout-local…

muskol.com/images/product_170gr_aerosol.png

Also, if you get bit don't scratch it or it will be even worse. Buy some of this to put onto the bite....and don't scratch it!!!

campbound.com/ProductImages/…AfterBite.jpg

Edited: 22 June 2013, 15:14
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito help

I definately second the AfterBite suggestion. It does wonders.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,638 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito help

I also find dabbing some hydrogen peroxide on the bite takes the itch out as well.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito help

There are some oral antihistamines which can make mosquito bites disappear, you would take one at the end of the day after being bitten (as long as you're not drinking booze). Can't remember the name of the one I've seen used, as mosquito bites don't tend to bother me enough to resort to that, but I've heard it's quite effective.

In theory all insect repellants with the maximum concentration of DEET should be equally effective, but experiment with both sprays and lotions (Muskol and OFF! each come in both formats) to see what seems to work best for you.

There are also these patches http://tinyurl.com/3q74zt7 that are supposed to work by giving your skin a vitamin B boost which apparently mosquitoes don't like. I haven't found them 100% effective on their own but combined with a conventional repellant they might add to the effect. Since they're vitamin-based, effectiveness probably depends on your personal body chemistry.

Finally, what time of year do you tend to come to Ontario, and is it flexible? If you came in late August or very early in September, the weather would still be summery but mosquitoes would be far less abundant than in June or July. Later in September, the weather would be cooler and mosquitoes would be pretty much absent.

And yes as others have said don't scratch bites... what you can do is press the edge of your fingernail onto them to make criss-crossed grooves. I was always taught that this helps disperse the venom to make the bites go away faster, though I don't know if it's just a matter of feeling some satisfaction.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 21:45
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito help

Making an "x" with your fingernail over the bite works for me. I've been doing it since I was a kid. The thing about mosquito bites is that if you can avoid scratching for about 10 minutes after the bite the itchy sensation goes away. It takes some will-power but it really does work. My wife unfortunately starts scratching like mad as soon as she's bitten and by the end of the weekend is covered in scabs....I on the otherhand have no marks. The more I tell her to stop scratching the more she scratches...lol. Maybe one day she'll realize her husband was correct all along......not likely though!

7. Re: mosquito help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:16