We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend trip from Ohio?

Lisbon, OH
4 posts
Save Topic
Weekend trip from Ohio?

Hello! My husband & I went on our honeymoon to Canada last year and fell in love with it there. Our first anniversary is coming up & although we don't have the time to take a long vacation, our anniversary is Labor Day weekend, so I'd like to take the long weekend for a quick trip to Canada. We live in Ohio, so I'm thinking Ontario would be a good option since it's within driving distance. We haven't been to Ontario before though (we went to Banff for our honeymoon), so I'm looking for some suggestions for a nice quick weekend getaway, probably more towards the southern part of the province since we don't want to spend the entire time driving. We like nature and wildlife, camping, or small towns. We're not big city people, so I'd rather see a nice quiet town than Toronto.

Any suggestions for us? Thanks so much!!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,204 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

The obvious of course is the Niagara Region, including Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the Lake - theatre, wineries, country markets, etc.

Further east of Toronto the Prince Edward County area also has wineries, foodie tours, towns, and Sandbanks Provincial Park for day or overnight use. Kingston and the Thousand Islands are just a bit east of PEC, at the far end of Lake Ontario.

To the west, you could explore Mennonite Country in the Kitchener-Waterloo - St. Jacobs area, or visit Stratford - again theatre here.

If you want nature, wildlife and camping you'll need to go further north to someplace like Algonquin Park, or one of the many other excellent provincial parks.

I suggest you do a bit of research on the Ontario regions, and perhaps come back with some ideas for us to help narrow down:

ontariotravel.net/TCISSegmentsWeb/…

Lisbon, OH
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

Thanks so much for your reply. It turns out that both of us got approved for vacation, so we will actually have a full week to work with. I was looking at Alonquin & also Killarney. Any thoughts between those two? Or is there another park you might recommend? I'd really like to see wildlife. I think that's what would be the biggest draw for us. Where do you think would be the best place for a possibly seeing wildlife?

Thanks again!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

Between those two parks, I'd say your chances of seeing wildlife are a little better in Algonquin, but Killarney is more visually impressive. In either place you could see a moose or a beaver, of course it's not a guarantee in either of them, but it does seem to happen a bit more in Algonquin. Both are prime wilderness canoe tripping areas and also have hiking trails, Killarney has tall hills capped with white quartzite so the scenery is more unique and stunning.

In Algonquin there are specific things you could do to look for wildlife: hike the Mizzy Lake Trail at dawn, take a tour of Hailstorm Creek by water taxi and kayak, or just go canoeing along a marshy stream in the early morning or late evening.

As I'm sure you're aware nothing in Ontario is anything like Banff. Banff is in the heart of the Rocky Mountains, while Algonquin and Killarney are on the Canadian Shield, which is rugged and lake-studded but not mountainous. And the Banff-Jasper area often has high concentrations of elk and deer in the valleys, while wildlife in Ontario is usually harder to find.

Lisbon, OH
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

Thanks for the reply! Algonquin is a little closer for us, so that kind of works out if that's perhaps our best bet. I know what you mean about it not being anything like Banff. Honestly, there probably aren't many places in the world that could be quite like that, but it sounds like Algonquin has a lot of things to do & offer. If we were to go to Algonquin do you recommend any specific areas? I see there are a lot of campground and options and different areas of the park. Thanks again!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

The 56 km Highway 60 corridor through the southwest part of Algonquin Park is the part of the park with the most amenities and the most use. It has hiking trails, campgrounds, canoe rental outfitters, canoe access points, and other points of interest all along its length. Other parts of the park have access to endless networks of canoe routes, but not a lot of day-use activities. I'd suggest either staying at a campground within the park along Highway 60, or at a hotel/motel/rental cabin on Highway 60 just outside the park (for instance at Oxtongue Lake or in Whitney). There are also 3 private resorts within the park if you're interested, but they're pretty expensive. Since it's only 56 km along Highway 60 from the west to east gates of the park, all the activities along the corridor will be accessible to you as day trips.

That's assuming of course that you're planning to do day-use activities, accessing by car. If you're interested in a backcountry canoe trip, that's a whole other story, so let me know if I'm making the wrong assumption.

6. Re: Weekend trip from Ohio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:17