We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

Hi,

Just realized I am a week or two too late for the festivals. We are leaving Toronto and driving to Niagara Falls, back to Ottawa, then to Montreal and Quebec after the 24th April. Can anyone recommend where we could go for pancakes with maple syrup, a true maple syrup place?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

The Kortright Centre....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
858 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

I tried Googling such a question but the results aren't that great. But saying that, if you are driving yourself there are lots of farm shops in the more rural areas that will possibly have pure Maple syrup. There is a Maple bush just round the corner from where I live that makes and sells their own plus north of me there is a road side stand right now that is advertising pure syrup.

Your other option is possibly on the Byward Market in Ottawa, I think there is a stand that sells Beaver Tails and they may have the option to have them with syrup. Some of the more knowledgeable Ottawa posters may come along and offer up better suggestions. As you are heading into Quebec Im pretty sure you will be tripping over restaurants and cafes that will offer the true Maple experience.

Sorry, not much help I know but the syrup is out there.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 01:37
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

Your best bet may be Sucrerie de la Montagne at Rigaud, QC, on the way between Ottawa and Montreal.

www.sucreriedelamontagne.com/eng/index.php

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

I didn't know we had a maple syrup festival. Where is it?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

Looks like every other town has one. Google "Maple Syrup Festival" and you'll see how many there are. It seems even Montreal has one.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

I thought Sugar Shacks were a big deal in Quebec....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

I don't think there's any way to get anything like a "true experience" of maple sugaring in late April.

Maple syrup and pancakes are supposed to be the reward for tramping through the snow and ice and mud and slush with your nose freezing and your eyes watering from the glare off the snow as you check how the sap drips slowly into buckets (or plastic tubing nowadays) along a sap line. Then you see someone boiling it up in an old fashioned black cauldron while smoke blows into your eyes and half of you freezes while the other half burns from the fire. Then you might also see one of the huge stainless steel vats they use to boil the sap down nowadays.

Then someone tests how the sap is doing by pouring it onto fresh snow (or manmade shaved ice) and the sap forms a sticky taffy that you eat while it's still warm. Then you visit a warmer building where someone pours sugaring off boiled down sap into moulds to make maple sugar candy (texture is like brown sugar: taste is infinitely better).

Then if you're still hungry, we never are, you sit down on wobbly sticky benches to try to eat a big pancake with lots of maple syrup using a plastic knife that couldn't cut warm butter.

Usually there's a hay ride involved towing you in a huge wagon through the snowy bush to where the sugar maple tress grow either behind a team of Clydesdales or a tractor.

By April, all you'd be doing is having pancakes and syrup. The sap has long since stopped running. The trees are leafing out. The snow's long gone. There's no one boiling down anything nor making fresh candy. It's not really the same at all.

If I was you, I'd just buy some really good quality maple sugar candy and enjoy it while taking in some the spring activities instead.

Toronto
Level Contributor
898 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

If google Perth there are couple of places that do pancakes and heir own syrup. Perth is a nice little town close to Ottawa.

9. Re: Missing the Maple Syrup festivals but want a true experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:18